Solomon7266

Government cap on locums and locum pay

21 posts in this topic

Anyone have an idea how the government cap on Locums going to affect Locum pay in psychiatry ? 

2F173/H

Hi ,  

please find the attached link explaining how they are going to reduce the pay. 

I can't see how it's viable as doctors would refuse to work and eventually may emigrate which is already in a momentum.

http://email.id-medical.com/_act/link.php?mId=AJ892673425626741332756382314&tId=4363747

Any ideas on what this will actually mean in reality? I can see how it'll become impossible/rare for anyone to now earn £3500 per shift which is what they've quoted as trying to crack down on. But with the percentages they're quoting will it also spell the end of £50p/h as a staff grade.

I guess this has made my decision about whether to locum or go into speciality training a bit easier.

If its £75 for a consultant & £51 for a SG, not sure that includes agency fees ; if thats the case, cant see anyone wants to do locum.

We’ve just responded to the government’s consultation and we’d urge all interested parties to do the same thing.

Our view is that these proposals are deeply flawed. The proposed new rates don’t adequately reward doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals for the demanding and varied nature of locum work. We’re concerned that, as others have said, this plan has the potential to drive medical professionals out of the UK. What’s more, the proposals are based on the assumption that the cap will force agency workers into bank or substantive positions. Yet we know that locum work is, for many of you, a lifestyle choice: a lifestyle that allows flexible working, a work-life balance and movement between Trusts.

Here’s the link to the consultation – it ends on 13 November at 5pm: https://www.research.net/r/C792H72

Steven Anthony

Operations Director

Athona Ltd

01277 245866

steven.anthony@athona.com

Does this mean that Trusts would have their own bank of doctors bypassing agencies. In which case doctor's pay would not change? Or are they going to give choice at the time of recruitment either to take up 'no frill' package with higher pay rate on a pay as you work basis or take up full package with lower pay? 

Hi

I'm a bit confused about this

Does anyone know what the cap will be?

Surely there will just be an exodus of locums?

Yes, people won't work for less and most likely would leave the country. 

The issue is even substantive post holders are leaving with increased rate of emigration of doctors. Please see the link below for the proposed cap.

You would have noticed more and more trusts are rated as inadequate by CQC due to poor staffing and unsafe patient care.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/national-price-caps-for-agency-staff-working-in-the-nhs?utm_source=Athona%20Limited&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=6320857_Price%20Cap%20email&dm_i=10H4,3RH7D,52XRI0,DJVRV,1

3 hours ago, ianb78 said:

Hi

I'm a bit confused about this

Does anyone know what the cap will be?

Surely there will just be an exodus of locums?

Ian it's on page 16 of the document in the link above.  It states there's a cap on the locums and it can only be exceeded in exceptional circumstances.  It's going to go down from 155% base salary to 55% over the next year.  I think for doctors operating at the level of a registrar soon it'll be max £35p/h and for staff grades £50p/h.  However, the locum agencies will surely want a piece of this because they won't work for free so expect much less.  I suppose private companies can offer more but they'll likely become more competitive as a result.  All this has really swayed me towards applying for higher training.  I'm so glad I applied for ST4, I almost didn't in order to just locum for as long as I can.

1 person likes this

Its not just the agency cap, trainees will be affected by increased working hours with 30 % pay cut, GP trainees have lost their banding in registrar post , GP and consultants contracts are due to be reviewed too....NHS -Not Hunt Slaves slogan seems to be apt in rally ... Just wait and watch the drama . My friends who have emigated to Aus/Canada seems to have made wise decision.

Edited by ramesh

I wouldn't overly panic at the moment - in the consultation paper Monitor themselves say that they only expect 70% compliance with the new rates. It is also hard to see who would want to take up positions in places like Cumbria, Plymouth, Northumberland etc on rates that would actually be lower than London (they are proposing adding in London weighting!) - potentially a huge disaster for the NHS outside of major conurbations if this is successful.

As an industry and a country we are faced with a drop off in the supply of doctors - those coming through UK medical schools - numbers are flat, those coming from outside Europe - numbers fell off a cliff due to visa restrictions - those coming from Eastern and Southern Europe - numbers well down on a couple of years ago due to English Language testing.

Combined with increasing emigrations by both "returnees" and those off to the Gulf, Aus, Canada, New Zealand.

It will eventually turn out to be a simple supply and demand issue - demand goes up or supply goes down - price increases. If you try and control prices what happens is Venezuela. 

Any updates from existing locums about how this cap had changed things? Have your agencies been in touch?

I have just extended my contract until March and staying at same rate.  We will be having a clear picture in 6 months and i don't see  it changing much.

I've just started looking at locum work again recently and I have to say there is no discernible difference in rates or job availability. What is new though is I am being approached directly by trusts a bit more pro-actively. I think the agencies are going to be hit more than locums who have a good reputation with their local services.

1 person likes this

Today agreed for £2/Hr pay reduction from 1st of Feb with trust wants to reduce the rate further from APRIL. 

I wouldn't expect them to change yet, it's all about April when the long term cap is coming in. I'll be curious to know what happens then. I was seriously considering a career as a locum before this cap was announced. I'm going into higher training as a result 

TBH Locums are still paid a fair bit even with that reduction.

The government's aim is to save money with locums, and drive more people into substantive posts.

From reading the posts on here, it looks like that strategy seems to be working.

Personally, I'm unhappy that they can do this unilaterally. I feel like a little baby crying 'Unfair!'. But life isn't supposed to be fair in the first place. And they will come after substantive junior doctors (already are), middle grades and consultants soon enough. Some trusts are already asking people to take unpaid annual leave.

I'm looking to find a regulatory agency just to ensure due process was followed. But that's one quick A4 letter. And I doubt much will come of that. Need to find out which regulatory body too.

I'll keep working locums, can't be arsed to get into a substantive post unless it pays over 90-100k a year, and even that's doubtful if I'll give up this freedom and lifestyle for staying stuck in a job 46 weeks of a year. Money really shouldn't be a deciding variable, as even if it was, doubt any amount of money is worth me giving up my 6-8 months of time off every year. Re-thinking it, no matter how much money they pay me. 46 weeks of work a year is too much to give up for however much money.

Locums are a good life. 46 quid p/h (which is what London rates are for staff grade) is reasonable enough. Time to get my arse in gear and get that AC and that locum consultant post I've been waffling on for yonks.

So yeah, its still a lot of money we earn as locums, lifestyle's great, I'm fuming a bit over the unilateralness/unfairness of it all, will keep doing locums for the time being. 

Doubt the government will track back down. The UK is notorious for not tracking back down on train wreck errors, they just plough on through the mad chaos. So don't see the salary cap reversing, in fact just the opposite. They're going to go after everybody else.

Now its £70 for consultant posts in England, i will sit tight and see if anything changes in the next 6 months. The pvt sector pays more than a full time locum at the moment....interesting times.

Public transport looks cheap but a bit tricky living out in the middle of nowhere. Are taxis good value and are there any reputable companies I could use?