Drachma21

CAMHS ST4 scenario

4 posts in this topic

The interview scenario is the following.. What do you think they'll throw at the applicants with this? Will it be a case of if they're gillick competent and assessing whether we have to tell the parents or not? 

"You are a newly appointed ST4 in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. You have been allocated a patient for a new assessment - a 15 year old young person referred by the GP due to concerns regarding low mood, repeated secretive self-harm, and the GP’s worry regarding the risk to self. The patient was accompanied by a friend (same age peer) to the GP surgery and this friend has also come with the patient to the CAMHS Clinic, she is waiting outside the consulting room. The GP has indicated in the referral letter that the patient did not want their parent (mother) informed or involved in the appointment.

Please assess:
1) The reasons for the GP’s concerns about risk (including self-harm),
2) The patient’s understanding of the issue of confidentiality and view about involving parent(s).

You will have fifteen minutes with the patient and should summarise back to patient at about 13 minutes."

1 person likes this

difficult scenario . i am a  trainee in CAMHS in Ireland, the policy of refferal to CAMHS include a parent consent form to accompany the refferal form....so its the GP's problem to sort the parental consent....yet its challanging scenario when oncall , i was oncall last week and i had the parent with one(the mother) insisting for their son to be assessed by CAMHS, while the father was refusing to give consent.. for the above scenario i think you need to inform the parent (risk of self harm plus you will need to involve them in your management...

Thanks for your advice munira. I'm thinking how they might try to make this really hard!! What if the 15 year old said that their parents were abusing them at home and that's why they were suicidal. And if you tell their parents about it, then it's likely they'll be more severely abused?

oh tht will be a child protection case..in either way parent had to be in the scene..this is my first post in CAMHS but i find it very tricky....lots of gray areas .....nothing straight forward ...in this particular scenario  it will be how to explain to this chap  your decision (communication)..so its advisable to mention in the beginning of ur interview the issue of confidentiality except in case there is safety concern.....do you mind sharing the ideal answers to above if u have any???tnx