Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rajeevkrishnadas

DSM 4 vs ICD 10

6 posts in this topic

I have a couple of queries...

I would be grateful if you could advise me...

1. I am more comfortable using DSM 4. ( I used the DSM before coming to the UK... and I use it here... all my consultants have been OK with it)

Is it Ok to use the DSM at the exam... for the differential diagnosis and multiaxial diagnosis?

2. If I give a clinical diagnosis... will they ask me to give the ICD 10 diagnostic crietria...

For eg: Could you tell us what the diagnostic criteria for schizphrenia is according to ICD 10...

There is somewhere in the regulations that states you need a working knowledge of either ICD-10 or DSM-IV.

You're very unlikely to be asked such specific questions as that. They might ask you to justify your diagnoses in which case you can volunteer DSM information.

There is somewhere in the regulations that states you need a working knowledge of either ICD-10 or DSM-IV.

You're very unlikely to be asked such specific questions as that. They might ask you to justify your diagnoses in which case you can volunteer DSM information.

Thanks a lot Elton...

It is better to give the wordings in your diagnosis as per ICD-10 as in Emotionally unstable personality disorder-Borderline type rather than Borderline personality. Officially ICD-10 is the system used for coding mental illnessess in the Uk and it will be better to be aware of the ICD-10 criteria atleast for the major disorders.

I don't agree. Candidates are from all sorts of backgrounds. The regulations are pretty clear - either DSM or ICD is acceptable. It's up to you to make it clear which you are using.

agree with you elton road.. the college guidance clearly states DSM [highlight]OR[/highlight] ICD-10..

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0