PsychTrainee1

Chances of passing CASC

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I am a CT3 working in East of England, planning to sit CASC in January. Could you please share your experiences, I mean what are the chances of passing CASC? I've heard all sorts of horror stories about it, so am panicking

failed mine first attempt, hoping to do it again in january!

1 person likes this

Hi. I'm sitting casc in Jan 16. 

The exam sounds tough, and there are many horror stories. But I wouldn't focus on them too much as there are many success stories also. Be positive and good luck.

1 person likes this

My advice would be

• invest your time
  • find a right approach
  • try to gain insight
  • practice as much as you can

Two main keys to undertsand

• polish your communication skills
  • practice the minitasks

1.Practice

2.practice

3.practice 

2 people like this

Dont get boggled down by the horror stories before your exam.I am sure you can find enough success stories too! Best of luck

Do you guys get your exam fees subsidised in the UK or do you have to pay yourself? The CASC is expensive... 

I got mine first time but followed some great advice from people who went before me:

GET HANDS ON PRACTICE AT DOING STATIONS IN A MOCK SETTING #1 best advice. I didn't pay to go on any course, just rounded up a bunch of other students and we mocked the hell out of every scenario we could get our hands on.

And yes, I paid for all my exams myself. I'm only just getting out of the debt!! 

Hi there

I'm an ST6 and remember CASC very clearly! You are only days away so I will spare you study tips (still time to bash through tons of stations with peers though as a final practice!). The best advice I was given was dress smartly, breathe, and during moments of panic before entering a station ask yourself "how would I tackle this at work or on call?". Yes, some of the stations are a bit leftfield, but aren't most presentations we see a but unpredictable and make us think outside the box? Lots of people failed the ECG station in my exam, simply because they were prepped to spot QTc prolongation. In fact, there was ST elevation on it - I feel sure almost everyone would have spotted this in real life but people couldn't get out of exam mode.

Good luck!

2 people like this

Doing for the 4th time. Let's see what happens

Practice,,,practice,,,,,,,,practice is the rule of thumb but it is not easy as it sounds

First you need to find two or three dedicated, honest and flexible peers who are willing to give and accept honest feedback to make a good study group.....

Practise a few tasks with fresh MRCPsych graduates because they can guide you to improve and monitor your progress.......

Be genuine and avoid using stock words to show your empathy....