Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neeraj_Bajaj

Veterans Guide to MRCPsych2 for smart people !!

6 posts in this topic

I know tips about passing the exam have been written many times in this forum but I would still like to do my bit, what I am going to write without any shame the mistakes I did for the benefit of others, most of it is common sense.

- I passed my Part 2 in my 3rd attempt and my part 1 in the 1st attempt thats why I feel I am bit of a veteran for the part 2.

- The mantra is ' It is not what you know and how much you know , it is what they want and your technique in putting it across ' I write this because I was the best prepared in my 1st attempt but could not clear the theory because of lack of technique.

- This exam will always be cleared by people who are very good with their subject but a vast majority of those who pass is also made of smart and lucky people.

- THEORY- The most daunting is generally Critical appraisal (CA) , one does not need to master the art of CA to pass all u need is the speed to finish the exam in time and for that one has to ruthlessly leave at times things which you might know but would be time consuming and not worth it if u are loosing the chance of scoring much easier marks with much less effort. Read the basics and learn to time yourself ' be smart and not pedantic about this part and you will pass' an example is spending 5 min on calculating ARR worth 5 marks when you can easily score 10 marks in listing pros and cons of Cohort study in 3 min. Be miser with what u write saves time, learn to put your point in the most crisp and clear language without wasting time.

Essay again practice, read APT try and read very general topics from APT , Manchester notes are invaluable try and get previous essays from the past course material ( off course it should not infringe copyrights ), again it is not what u know it is about how u present it, dont go mad trying to remember references i wrote 23 references in my essay the 1st time still failed( I know I am pure Genius ;) ) because I didnt debate the topic asked properly, Spend at least 5 minutes in deciding which essay u want to attempt and think carefully how much meaningfully material(and not stories :lol: ) you can write on that topic , try and plan at least 10 essays before the exam and write at least one.

Questions - Clinical and Basic- use all the material I personally think Manchester Material is the Gold standard . One important thing I would like to share in this part is the fact that most of the material you get from the courses is biased towards Clinical paper and very little is covered for the BAsic sciences paper, but remember the word Technique again , it is tempting and interesting to spend time on only the clinical part but both papers have equal marks so conc. on basic sciences as well try and read some material from Part 1 for the basic sciences.

Clinicals

PMPs- One important thing I realized about PMPs is the fact the every PMP has a Theme whcih at times might not be obvious from the PMP statement and the only way you can maxmise your chances of passing the exam is to do as many PMPs as possible but with the knowledge of the theme of that PMP If you dont touch that theme you are digging yourself a hole, If the examiner are asking you questions or trying to take you in another direction then dont get pissed off they are giving you invaluable hints and you have to be smart enough to grab that theme.Knowledge is very important and I personally feel PMPs have the ability to make us better psychiatrists. Again it is not what you are thinking about a PMP and what you know it is about what is written on thier sheet and what they want you to cover you might come back thinking you did well but if you did not cover what they want from you you will fail!!(that what happened the 2nd time I took the exam). I personally benefited a lot from the Birmingham Clinical Course.

- Long case- I feel is easy to pass but you need to have luck on your side. The biggest tip for passing the long case is Know the mark distribution on the examiners sheet , I am saying this because we all tend to stress a lot on history taking but it forms 15% of the marks, be smart and get marks an all the aspects like DD, Management etc, I know the Biopsychosocial grid but be carefull not to sound pedantic and bookish , if there is an important issue with a case lets say risk do mention it early on and talk as if you have really managed a case practice what you will say in the exams.Talking about important issues about a case is very important as you have clarified all the potential areas you would like to concentrate ur management on and then you can go into biopsychosocial, remember somethings like Risk issues if you underestimate you will fail they are looking for dependable and safe psychiatrists and not bold and experimental .

All the best to everyone hope this helps !!

The mantra is ' It is not what you know and how much you know , it is what they want and your technique in putting it across '
This is very important, particularly for those people sho believe that the more they know and the better psychiatrists they are, the more chances they'll have to pass the exam. Remember that this is about passing an exam, not about being a psychiatrist or testing your knowledge.

Hi fellows thanks for the support I hope people will benefit from it I just wanted to put across that it is not all hard work u need to pass the exam but I think technique is more important than hard work!! ofcourse that is a flaw with the way we are tested !!

Funtoosh- is that really true about Hx only being worth 15%? Do you know the rest of the marking breakdown? (I will stop wetting myself about being too slow history taking now! They obviously aren't that bothered about the details!)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0