Gurpal

Feedback: MRCPsych CASC January 2016

116 posts in this topic

Please post your feedback about the exam!

Information on all aspects of each station is welcome, including the candidate's instructions and the role of the actors/examiners.

Good luck on results day! :D

Note: To discuss how to approach individual stations in detail, please start a new topic for each station - don't discuss them in this thread which is for posting descriptions of stations only. By following this instruction you'll help future exam candidates!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please anyone post linked stations from today morning!!!  Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 

can anyone send today's link stations please? 

Regards 

Hi 

Just a thought, do you think uncommon examination stations possibly cardiovascular, respiratory or eating disorders may come to the exam? 

Can anyone help what type of risk assessment stations they usually ask please? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you DR 18 ,can you give more details? best wishes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like no anxiety disorders or forensic stations turned up. 

Many thanks Dr 18.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi can somebody post afternoon stations please.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28yr old male. Complains about not looking good and having eyes wide apart. Assess psychopathology.

7 minutes ago, thisislife said:

what is GBH exactly ?

Establish drug misuse history.

Not to worry about effects of GBH. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bretton gate said:

28yr old male. Complains about not looking good and having eyes wide apart. Assess psychopathology.

Establish drug misuse history.

Not to worry about effects of GBH. 

thank you very much Bretton. Did the pt accept taking this drug ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thisislife said:

thank you very much Bretton. Did the pt accept taking this drug ?

Straight away he agreed. Task was to establish dependence and harmful use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bretton gate said:

Straight away he agreed. Task was to establish dependence and harmful use.

Did u keep referring to the drug as GBH or did you use any other name for it ?

many thanks Bretton , wish you the bests

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thisislife said:

Did u keep referring to the drug as GBH or did you use any other name for it ?

many thanks Bretton , wish you the bests

 

 

At the beginning I mentioned Gamma butyrolacotne (GBL). There is no pasty or current history of misuse of other drugs or alcohol. So I did not mention the name after the first introduction.

Even in the first introduction he got confused when I mentione Gamma butyrolactone and he became clear when I said GBL. Instruction sheet also mentions GBL.

1 hour ago, Bretton gate said:

Straight away he agreed. Task was to establish dependence and harmful use.

Dependence, harmful use, social impact (fired from work because he took drug whilst at work to prevent withdrawal symptoms) , mental illness (he has delusions that "people are plotting against him").

Edited by Bretton gate
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi


Thanks for sharing what you got today, best of luck !

 

I have a question, in the CVS examination did it instruct you to say your findings to the examiner , my concern is that CVS has a lot of jargon in it and would be time consuming to try to simplify all of it in laymen language?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LayBen said:

Hi


Thanks for sharing what you got today, best of luck !

 

I have a question, in the CVS examination did it instruct you to say your findings to the examiner , my concern is that CVS has a lot of jargon in it and would be time consuming to try to simplify all of it in laymen language?

 

 

Comments addressed to the examiner; No need to check lower limb pulses.

 

Edited by Bretton gate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot ! you are so kind

 

Sorry one more question was there also a requirement to measure Blood pressure or Examine fundus  (instruments provided?) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instructions would say don't do fundoscopy; but measure BP - patient has high BP

Edited by Bretton gate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bretton gate said:

No fundoscopy; but measure BP - patient has high BP

Thank you very much. It's a bit strange to get someone who has abnormal findings in physical examinations ! Where there any other detectable abnormalities ?

 

I also noticed Tuberous sclerosis station, was it mentioned in the information provided that he has it or it came up in the history taking ? 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Thanks for sharing today's stations!

I was wondering, in the : 45 year old admitted in med ward. Staff think he has memory issues. Fired from work 6 months ago. Perform MSE and do cognitive assessment.

Were there any more clues about what to do? did you do a full MMSE or look at short term/long term memory, like in Korsakoff?

 

thanks!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sheesa said:

Hi,

 

Thanks for sharing today's stations!

I was wondering, in the : 45 year old admitted in med ward. Staff think he has memory issues. Fired from work 6 months ago. Perform MSE and do cognitive assessment.

Were there any more clues about what to do? did you do a full MMSE or look at short term/long term memory, like in Korsakoff?

 

thanks!

 

 

I got confused on seeing two tasks MSE and cognitive assessment. I did Korsakoff. I may be wrong.

Three points were given in the instruction sheet which suggested either he was confabulating or having memory loss. One point was that he told nursing staff that he works as a care worker from which he was actually fired 6 months ago. I forgot the other two points.

The instruction also says that he smelled of alcohol on admission.

Edited by Bretton gate
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now