Udas

opthalmoscopy

10 posts in this topic

Dear everyone 

I find it difficult to do  the opthalmoscope as I don't get chance to do it. 

I would be grateful if anyone can describe and give guidance how to do it properly please. 

1 person likes this

Hi, I would ask patient to look straight and focus on the wall then inform that I'm going to shine light on your eye and will be coming closer to you,   please feel free to blink and breath normally as you do. 

Ideally room light should be dim, before using ophthalmoscope make sure it is on, turn the number at '0' and the focus light should be full and bright 

then first shine the light on the patient's eye from a distance, once you see red reflex then go closer with the ophthalmoscope and look the optic disc.

if u r looking at patient's right eye then use your right eye and right hand to stabilise the ophthalmoscope....

If this is not clear may be u can get in you tube. 

1 person likes this

Dear Fishtail 

Many thanks for your reply. Your description is really good. I am wondering how can I check the each quadrant and describe please. 

Regards 

Udas 

SPMM has a video description of fundoscopy examination.

Seshni moodliar notes also gives a good description.

1 person likes this

Dear Gurpal 

The best video I have ever seen. 

Thank you very much. 

Regards 

Udas 

1 person likes this

Thanks all for your feedback including Gurpal's video. Is it common to get such examinations in casc and also, was there an abnormality during the last session ? Or was it a normal examination ? 

Thanks and greetings from Malta 

I got it in the casc. He had conversion so the fundoscopy was normal

It sounds obvious but apparently some candidates don't even ask him to remove sunglasses before examinining. 

In my station the ophthalmoscope was messed up, someone turned the dials so it wasn't on zero but on 6 or something. Also I found it very hard to turn it on  (im used to ones where you twist and turn on) so I fumbled for a while to get the light working whilst apologising to the patient...

On 26 January 2016 at 08:09, Frann said:

Thanks all for your feedback including Gurpal's video. Is it common to get such examinations in casc and also, was there an abnormality during the last session ? Or was it a normal examination ? 

Thanks and greetings from Malta 

No abnormalities but the patient will say he cannot see with his left eye while performing the examination. He refused to read the Snellen's chart, follow confrontation test and identify numbers of fingers with his left eye but he was fine with right eye. 

On 1/24/2016 at 17:05, Udas said:

Dear Fishtail 

Many thanks for your reply. Your description is really good. I am wondering how can I check the each quadrant and describe please. 

Regards 

Udas 

Basically you follow one artery on each side of the optic disc and follow it through. It does not matter what artery you choose. Even to reach the optic disc, you need to choose and artery which will lead you to the optic disc. 

On 1/24/2016 at 22:00, Udas said:

Dear Gurpal 

The best video I have ever seen. 

Thank you very much. 

Regards 

Udas 

Gurpal had been ever helpful for the trainees. We owe him a lot.