zuri123

Specialty Dr route advice

5 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm currently a CT1 in psychiatry in London and I wanted some advice about the specialty dr route (after core training). So I really don't want to do any exams ever again but I am happy to finish core training.  I love my job but becoming a higher trainee/consultant is out of the question. I won't do exams (traumatised by med school exams, even though I passed with honours) and I haven't taken any post graduate exams yet, so its not that I have failed a hundred times or anything, I have just made a life decision to not do any exams after medical school.

I would like some advice about how hard it would be to get a specialty dr job without MRCpsych exams but having done core training in London (with good references). Please don't post something unhelpful like "I had 10 kids and did all the exams the old way when there were 4 parts so if I can do it so can you!" because I'm not asking for advice about how to get motivated.

Many of the job adverts for specialty drs don't mention MRCPsych as a requirement...does anyone know if it is difficult to become a specialty dr without exams? I'm a bit too scared to ask my supervisor.

Thanks

There are several posts for specialty Doctors in London at the moment. Sure, MRCPsych will look good in the application form, but I have at least two peers who got long-term posts without MRCPsych. My advice would be to apply to several posts, get interview experience and if you're clinically sound you should get a post. 

ps. Working 9-5, Monday to Friday is glorious. 

Bear in mind you'll get pressure from the deanery to go for exams. For staff grade I think you need at least 1 exam passed, but not sure!

Edited by Valerie

Hi,

Please can you tell what else inspired you to think about specialty Doctor route  other than to not take MRCPsych exam? 

I got the exams and have gone into ST training after locuming as a speciality doctor for a while. Specialty doctor is an amazing job, 9-5, pretty much left to get on with it, no on calls.. i miss it hugely.