miss_fighter

Some advice needed

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I graduated from Ireland in 2013, and have completed my internship in Singapore. I've decided to move to UK (as my family is based there) and am currently doing PLAB exams. 

I am interested in a future career in psychiatry, but I understand it is very difficult for IMG/ non-UK/EU citizens to secure those spots.

Would someone be able to answer the following for me-

1) Do I need to sit my MRCPsych part A and B now? Will this give me an edge at the interview?

2) When I apply for trust jobs upon reaching England, shall I do Psych or non-psych jobs?

3) What kind of things are they looking for in my CV? I do not have any publications yet

4) Which sources do I use for MRCPsych? Do you reccomend any courses? (I've only worked one 6 month SHO posting in Psychiatry so far, that is it)

Thank you for reading this and your help.

Hi, welcome to this forum and all the best with your PLAB exams. 

To answer your questions quickly:

1) Do I need to sit my MRCPsych part A and B now? Will this give me an edge at the interview? No. You don't need to sit the exams prior to your psychiatric placement. You need to apply to a post in psychiatry first, there are many around. Once you start your placement, you can revise for your exams. 

2) When I apply for trust jobs upon reaching England, shall I do Psych or non-psych jobs? If you are considering a career in psychiatry, then psychiatric jobs are preferred of course. However, doing an old age medicine post or paediatrics can help also (for CAMHS or old age psychiatry). 

3) What kind of things are they looking for in my CV? I do not have any publications yet. You don't need publications, you just need to show a genuine interest in psychiatry and why you want to do it as a career. 

4) Which sources do I use for MRCPsych? Do you reccomend any courses? (I've only worked one 6 month SHO posting in Psychiatry so far, that is it). There so many, starting point is the RCPsych online resources (TraineesOnline). There are resources you can find by searching this forum. 

All the best. 

1 person likes this

Thanks a lot for the advice. Also as an IMG do I have a good chance at securing a training spot?

Thanks, the competition rate in psychiatry as not as high as it is in other specialties, however, there has been an increase in the number of applicants to core psychiatry training last year, but still not enough to fill all the vacancies. Therefore, I still think there is a good chance that IMGs (and especially those who will need Tier 2 visa) will be offered training posts in psychiatry, especially in remote areas (like where I work in Norfolk).

All the best.