Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daisee

Visual hallucination

6 posts in this topic

Pardon me this daft question but am not sure what the anwer is

re: visual hallucination- does it occur inside the person's head or does the person actually see the vision with their eyes but other peopl cant see it.

if the person can see it with his eyes, can he be able to draw it.

pls laugh if it sounds silly but i need an answer to this as one of the consultants i presented to went on and on about this so i am now not sure

it occurs outside and yes they can draw it... and it is as clear as they can see me...

in fact some of our textbooks give pictures of hallucinations during delirium tremens... (I think it is sims or synopsis)

they can be so real... i have seen patients actually continuously trying to wipe the ants and spiders off the table tops...

it sounds like your consultant wanted to ascertian the psychopathology,real hallucinations vs psudo.

[highlight]it occurs outside [/highlight]and [highlight]yes they can draw it... [/highlight]and it is as clear as they can see me...

in fact some of our textbooks give pictures of hallucinations during delirium tremens... (I think it is sims or synopsis)

they can be so real... i have seen patients actually continuously trying to wipe the ants and spiders off the table tops...

Thanks Doriannevergreys, but forgive my being pedantic, i suppose that if it occurs outside their heads, does that make it a defect in their visual fields then. is not me stretching the argument, its the consultant argument!!!!

well, by definition a hallucination is a perception in the absence of a stimulus that is believed to be genuine. so yes they can see it outside their head, and can draw it as well

[highlight]it occurs outside [/highlight]and [highlight]yes they can draw it...  [/highlight]and it is as clear as they can see me...

Thanks Doriannevergreys, but forgive my being pedantic, i suppose that if it occurs outside their heads, does that make it a defect in their visual fields then. is not me stretching the argument, its the consultant argument!!!!

No... it does not make it a defect in the field of vision...

a visual field defect is equivalent to a blind spot...

In fact hallucinations have nothing much to do with visual field...

because EXTRACAMPINE hallucinations are hallucinations occuring outside the sensory field...

eg: I can see someone behind my head...

but hallucinations could occur in visual field defects.... or even in blind people eg: Charles Bonnet

Visual hallucinations are more common in organic conditions, including lesions in the optic pathway and occipital lobe...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0