Dr Tom Solan

When to sit Paper A?

6 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I am due to start CT1 in August 2016. I was wondering when most trainees sit Paper A - CT1 or CT2.? I understand the exam takes a lot of preparation so do people feel December of CT1 is too optimistic or is this normal practice? 

Thanks 

Tom 

Hi Tom,

I would encourage you  to sit at the earliest.There are a lot of variables  in  preparation i.e your posting, personal circumstances, learning style.

Nevertheless,it's not too optimistic.You could start early now if you have time!

All the best

Catatonic

Hi Tom, not sure where in London you're going to be but I'm in North Central and we have MRCPsych teaching every Tuesday at UCL. The curriculum covers the exam syllabus over the year and therefore most people do the Paper A in July. I do know that around 10 people in my cohort took the exam in December, but I think only 2 people passed! The exams and the online question banks are very expensive, plus the first CT1 job is usually a very busy inpatient job with little time to study! So I would definitely hang fire and be prepared for next July!

6 out of 8 CT1s sat Paper A in December and 4 passed, the people who failed did not study properly or correctly.

I chose not to do it in Dec as I wanted to get used to the job. Looking back, I wish I did. I am sitting it next week and have to stress about ARCP and moving homes as well! Definitely doable if you keep repeating mrcpsychmentor and spmm

Hi Tom,

I sat a while ago, when it was still Papers 1 and 2, but I agree with what many others have said here; there's quite a lot of breadth to the subject area, so you do need to prepare quite well. That said, repeating and re-repeating MRCPsychmentor and SPMM can be super helpful towards this exam. 

Not sure how having a new job to get used to, will affect all this, but sometimes with exams, well.. You gotta Just Do It. 

It will mean you have to put in some serious work these couple of months though..

Good Luck!