fereshteh

Organic mental state

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

hope revision is going smoothly for all of u guys. I will be fighting the dragon exactly a week from now! Haha

For those who have passed the exam, or anybody actively preparing, any idea on how to examine "organic mental state". I have come across this in this forum months ago. However, I cant recall where exactly.

any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Ok, so I managed to read advice on this station, offered By Afterlife. He suggests mental state then doing all tests related on frontal, parietal and temporal lobes. But how could we possibly do all of that in ten minutes!!!!!!! 

There won't be time to do everything, probably MSE then MMSE + a bit of frontal lobe.

I think you need to add in delirium screen, then (depending on patient age) dementia core elements, then MSE and finally cognitive tests if you have time

On 8/30/2016 at 21:33, fereshteh said:

Ok, so I managed to read advice on this station, offered By Afterlife. He suggests mental state then doing all tests related on frontal, parietal and temporal lobes. But how could we possibly do all of that in ten minutes!!!!!!! 

I did not have this station in exam but I suppose touching on everything may be a good option. Touching on mood, hallucinations including all modalities, delusion, orientation in time one question, orientation in place, one question, registration recall, attention and concentration, 1-2 frontal lobe tests and 1-2 parietal tests, checking or commenting on arousal levels, all this can be done in 10 minutes. No need of completing frontal and parietal tests. Visual and olfactory hallucinations will be more important here. No need of doing full MMSE. That is my take. 

65 yrs old gentleman in a/e following collapse.MMSE is 22/30 with impairment in orientation and repetition .ct scan shows multiple infarcts in temporal and parietal lobes.perform MSE specifically looking for organic etiology. What's the best way to proceed for this and which cognitive tests should be done???? 

Its 7 min station

It also depends on the wording. If the wording is like the above I would go for:

1. Full parietal lobe testing

2. Full temporal Lobe Testing

3. Touching on frontal lobe - one - two tests

4. Touching on orientation

5. Touching on visual hallucinations