ronnyrogers

CASC JAN 2017

21 posts in this topic

when is the CASC result going to come?

Don't worry Oana. I wish you pass your exam and then can help others.

Hi Ronny, I am also preparing for CASC in 2017

hi Amelia

may i know your strategy to prepare for this exam?

1 person likes this

I failed and am interested to study for jan casc

1 person likes this

Hi Ronnyrogers, I have no doubts at all about my strategy. I have enrolled on to the Halcyon Minds Course. This is going to be my first attempt at CASC in 2017 but judging by how helpful they were with my theory exams and the testimonials on their website (many of whom I know personally), I will be hugely benefited by their course. Of course, I'll be focusing on face to face practice with my colleagues and consultants rather than self study or skype as I have got feedback from examiners (who are consultants that I know) that body language and interaction with the actor significantly determines how well or badly you do in the actual exam.

Hi guys for all those who are preparing to give casc in Jan I'm here to discuss different stations as there are small tricky things in each stations that the examiners like after passing the casc I'm definitely going to try my best to help u guys 

4 people like this

Thank you Khoker for offer your help and experience!

I would like to start asking you general aspects, sorry if they can sound a bit elemental.

Is the set too noisy that you can need the patient talk a bit louder? Can u take your notes and use them before or during the evaluation?

Do I have to look at the examiner when I enter in the cubicle? Is it okay if I can call the person as Mr or Mrs. or I have to necessarily ask them how they would like to be called?

Thanks

I didn't find it noisy really obviously it also depends how loud or low the pt is speaking but if u concentrate it shouldn't be a problem.                               Maximum u can do is to read the task carefully and organize how u going to start depending on what information u have and from where like from gp or psychiatrist or family,a good start matters a lot and helps u flow through the interview.                                                       It's ok to look and smile at the examiner but it really doesn't matter important is to introduce ur self and ur purpose of seeing the patient or relative or whatever is the case.                                   I usually call patient as mr or mrs or miss,if it's paeds u can call directly with the name that helps in rapport

1 person likes this

I have just found a CASC MOCK test which is in Birmingham organised by West Midlands psychiatry course

their website is http://examszguru.com/event.php . I have asked my few friends and they said that course was very good and well organised. has anybody else joined the mock test in Sep 2016 in Birmingham ?. please guys help me.

www.examzguru.com

I can open examzguru website on my mobile but not on my hospital computer. I have just attached a document for the candidates to have a look and suggest us whether it is really genuine or not because I don't want to waste my money for doing any course.

CASC mock test dec 2016.docx

Hi ronny, 

That url is not a official website, I think is fake, I tried nd cannot be found. 

hi Everest

I have seen the website and it looks good and there is a phone number 07403071135 on which I just spoke to the representative and she has said that it will be  on 17 and 18th Dec 2017  and they have 16 stations on each day and these will be from last 2 CASC EXAMS and they will give all the questions with role player instructions.

1 person likes this

On 03/10/2016 at 13:48, khoker said:

I didn't find it noisy really obviously it also depends how loud or low the pt is speaking but if u concentrate it shouldn't be a problem.                               Maximum u can do is to read the task carefully and organize how u going to start depending on what information u have and from where like from gp or psychiatrist or family,a good start matters a lot and helps u flow through the interview.                                                       It's ok to look and smile at the examiner but it really doesn't matter important is to introduce ur self and ur purpose of seeing the patient or relative or whatever is the case.                                   I usually call patient as mr or mrs or miss,if it's paeds u can call directly with the name that helps in rapport

Thank you!

Could you explain a little more about why the start and end is so important for examiners and can you give some advice from your experience about it.

I´ve heard that actors recommend do not ask many times the same questions, that annoys them, or examiners love the capacity of listening from the candidate. Do you know other tips about the best manage. 

Thanks again Khoker ^_^

I think it's very important to start confidently as it helps to build rapport with the pt like asking the patient that I got some information from ur gp that you having problems with ur treatment is it okay if we can talk about it can u share with me what are ur concerns so it's better for ppl who struggle with communication so have already prepared in their mind what to say in different scenarios,like if u see a patient angry I would say that I can see u look upset about what happened ,I'm sorry u have to go through this difficult situation however I will try my best to help u and to answer ur questions and concerns can you share with me about........so in short u acknowledge what ever emotion the patient is showing

And regarding your second question can u clarify why will u be asking same question over and over again

Thank u! 

About the question, I just heard this from other candidates who had a feedback in a course.

As you said the most important is follow the cues that the patient can give us through their emotions or words.

;)

On 10/2/2016 at 12:32, khoker said:

Hi guys for all those who are preparing to give casc in Jan I'm here to discuss different stations as there are small tricky things in each stations that the examiners like after passing the casc I'm definitely going to try my best to help u guys 

Hi Could you please advise on the Mania station on Friday in Sept CASC? What tricky thing was in this station?

I did not pass even though I felt confident that I did the MSE quite well.

Thanks

Would anyone like to practice for CASC Exam over Skype ?