DrEvil

How to study?

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I am London based CT1 doing the exam in Dec. I have access to SPMM and MRCPsych Mentor.

Some of my colleagues passed and some failed in the last attempt, but I'm really confused as to HOW to study.

I have been doing the SPMM questions and just memorising the answers so when I see the question, I select the correct answer (but really don't know why this answer is the right answer - only that i've practiced it a few times without reading the theory) and have been scoring around 70%. However, another colleague said not to do this and to study the notes and learn theory behind the answers. I'm not sure how to study! I am a serial procrastinator and never get any work done! How did you study for the exam? Please help!

Many Thanks!

You will hear people telling you different things- everyone has different study styles. Personally - i did SPMM questions and mocks at least 4-5 times-it was enough to pass paper A. If you have time - read the notes for human development, social psychology and socio cultural. otherwise questions, questions!. 

2 people like this

I agree with @fuzz123... Depends on which study style that would suit you. I have seen friends who do not rely on question banks and passed the exam. There are others who just memorise everything in the question banks and passed. So i can't really say which is the best for you. However, i do know that by practising questions, you will get a basic idea of what kind of questions that usually comes out. If you are really lazy and like to procrastinate, you could try to understand the reason for each answer when you do the questions. If you don't know why that answer is correct, you can always refer specifically to that topic. 

It all depends on the time you have. if you have enough time, then try to understand, otherwise, questions

1 person likes this

Hi guys is spmm enough for papaer A or should I do paychomenter as well