doctor1980

Training as a Psychiatrist in the US

4 posts in this topic

Hi all, just to give some background about myself and to see if anyone is contemplating the same. I am a 35 year old male psychiatrist working as a locum staff grade in London. I have MRCPsych. I graduated from medical school in 2008 and moved to the UK in 2009. In London, I worked as a locum SHO in psychiatry for 4 years. I entered CT2 TO CT3 training in London in 2013 and got MRCPsych, completing training in 2015. I decided to locum again until present. I have been travelling on and off during this time. I've decided to study for USMLEs now part time. I will stop work altogether in July 2017 and study full time over a 1 and 1/2 to 2 year period to pass all steps including step 3, funding myself from locum limited earnings. Ideally I would like to do psych residency in Atlanta or Texas. I do not wish to work in LA or New York competitive areas. The weather and people are pleasant down south!

I was wondering if I am at a disadvantage compared to competing with fresh US graduates? or does it matter at all? Does it depend mostly on USMLE scores? I plan to get good scores as I will be studying full time.  I did have to repeat my final year in medical school and do 2 to 3 attempts for the MRCPsych writtens but I hope this doesn't give me a disadvantage? All responses welcome...............

From what i know, the age of the candidate and number of  years since primary medical graduation are big issues for USMLE now.

Regards

May I ask what is making you move out to the US ?