Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bp6028

Life as staff grade- advice needed

4 posts in this topic

Would greatly appreciate some advice.

What has your experience been of working as staff grades and doing this as a long term career. I'm beginning to feel increasingly worn down by the endless audits/ management/ wpba/leadership/ exams/ arcps etc. Beginning to feel that it's taking up to much of my personal life and ultimately isn't worth it.

What is the pay like as a staff grade and in general what are your thoughts/ experiences.

I've done it a bit. The pros are a 9-5 life with no weekends, little in the way of portfolio and good pay. However some people dislike the insecurity and the fact that there's still a consultant over you. Some people are bothered by the status thing. I'm with you tho, it allows a work-life balance that you don't get as consultant and with comparable pay. There always seems to be jobs so it seems pretty secure 

Hi bp6028,

well you should think what you want in life and write down your options and think is your family life predominates your professional life.

if your partner is supportive and can manage child care ,  there is no dearth of Locums.

if you feel you are stretched talk to your consultant, try to ease your job.

maintain a fine balance between personal and professional life.

Every one can give their views and  opinions  but remember the final decision is yours.

good luck

Finish your training. This is a no brainer. 

I wish someone kicked my ass when I left training. 

All I needed to hear was, training is like prison time. It's designed to be a pain in the butt. 

Sure, everything else before and after is too. But you rarely feel the burn as much as during training. 

Just realise that pretty much everyone around you is going through the same thing you are. 

The people who leave, get stuck in dead end staff grade posts for the rest of their lives. And hitting AC, and CESR hurdles as they realise their mistake after leaving training. 

The people who stay get into consultant posts, and hey, thing's aren't much better, and the workload is much more than SpR/Staff Grade and SHO combined. But options open up. Private, locum, international work etc etc. 

2 people like this