icetea

Paper A Dec 2016

30 posts in this topic

How did everyone find the paper A today?

Many genetics related questions and few psychopathology based. it was quiet tough. 

1 person likes this

Hello

So glad to see this thread!  Thank you!  My thoughts to Dr Gurpal who used to kindly make these threads.

I kinda liked this exam.  There were a lot of repeat questions.

-notable there was NO HISTORY.  No Names of past psychiatry discoveries.
-there wasn't much classification questions either / as you said psychopathology.
-most of the questions I thought were fair.  I went through the syllabus which was helpful as lot of terms were directly from the syllabus.
-I agree a lot of genes and a lot of pharmacology.  things that you either learnt or didn't.  Hard to deduce correct answer.

I ended up rushing the paper, and then leaving the exam with 30 minutes to go, and then later thinking about qns I probably got wrong. 

- boy bitten by cat then avoids it.  I saw a similar qn on birmingham course so I wrote Operant.  Was Avoidant an option?
-25yo brought to A&E febrile labile BP very unwell.  it mentioned ankle clonus.  Thinking back i should have wrote Serotonin syndrome (was that an option?) but I wrote NMS.

-there was something I never ever heard of before.  Bonferrhonmi.. on Bonnowefverhoni.... what was it????something like that. not even google can correct me.

- there was a drug I've NEVER heard of before - vibroxetine? or something.   and qn asking what type.

-which drug will interact with clozapine most?  SSRI and quetiapine were both options.  my heart said quetiapine but i went for SSRI.  don't know now.  does interaction mean affect the levels (e.g SSRI) or affect side effects (e.g. quetiapine for QTc).

-what type of memory is knowing how to make breakfast?  silly me, I wrote recollection.  I feel I wrote a lot of silly things and those are all the ones I remember now rather than ones I got right.

-when did Vygotsky say children learn internal monologue from private speech.  I wrote age 7.  maybe it's 8?

ahhhh.. anyway I'll see what happens. 

1 person likes this

My deepest condolences to Dr. Gurpal's family & team.

Vortioxetine's mechanism of action.

-boy bitten by cat then avoids it-i wrote classical condition which looks wrong now. 

-25yo brought to A&E febrile labile BP very unwell.  it mentioned ankle clonus.  Serotonin syndrome (option was there)

-when did Vygotsky say children learn internal monologue from private speech.  I wrote age 7 as 8 was the last option :)

Looking back i feel i did many questions wrong. I used SPMM material & mock. Many questions were totally new to me. I feel the passing percentile maybe low this time due to complexity of questions for example drug which causes least orthostatic hypotension, aripiprazole or amisulprude?

2 people like this

Dec 2016 paper A
caffeine effects which neurotransmitter
Glutamate hydroxylase is in which NT
function of microglia
Where is CSF formed
Self serving bias
Voroxitine mode of action
Varineciline
Abx c/I with clozapine
Low WBC predisposing factors
Hyponatremia predisposing factors
Antimuscarinic intoxication
Glycine- AMPA
5HT2 dendritic inhibition
QTC effected by most/ least
Not to gv with clozapine - beta blocker?
Erikerikson and mahler and kolnberg
Rating scales
Blood supply neuroanat
Subacute EEG
serotonin syndrome: ankle clonus
Social learning
Which leader will get your commitment not  compliance
DSM 5 schizophrenia,
ICD 10 harmful substance
Autoscopic hallucination
Methylphenidate
Parkinson genetics
Serotonin : median raphe
NMDA antagonist
Which antipepiletic produces most aggression
Which personality test is grid based..
MMPI
Survey of health questionnaire 
Zolpidem acts on which sigma or omega?
Model based on good for all: virtue?
Culture where new norms are prevalent: melting pot?
Child is not involved but involved? Exo something, macro, micro?
Institutional racism
Reason for thirst: hyperglycaemia?hyper and hypocalcemia?
Erikson model but asked differently
Blood supply brain
Notch 3
Genes of Parkinson's
DSM 5- no subtypes schozophrenia
Locus cerulus 
Dopamine- COMT, MAO-B

56 were EMIs
Does anyone remember how many mcqs were there

1 person likes this

I want to appear in june 2017 , so i would like to gather all the questions from here for paper A, also some guidance for preparation too.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, alizaazhar1809 said:

I want to appear in june 2017 , so i would like to gather all the questions from here for paper A, also some guidance for preparation too.

If you've got an Android device I would recommend the Mrcpsych LearnA app. I only used that this time and there seemed to be quite a number of questions come up that I knew thanks to that.

And Tommy, yes it was X recessive

48 minutes ago, eve1 said:

If you've got an Android device I would recommend the Mrcpsych LearnA app. I only used that this time and there seemed to be quite a number of questions come up that I knew thanks to that.

And Tommy, yes it was X recessive

tbh I cant remember what it was - just a little debate between friend with regards what it was. 

Sarah I didn't see the word "Bonnowefverhoni" you mention!,.. could it have been Vorbeigehen which was given as an incorrect answer?

On the topic of Googling things you just can't find, there was an awful question on a radio nucleotide 123-Ionxxxxxx and which receptor does it locate on a scan? (D4, GABA were given as answers).

I cannot find any nucleotide that matches what they gave, does anyone know what it was??

3 hours ago, tommy blue said:

what was the pedigree ....... ? X linked recessive

I marked autosomal recessive because i thought in X linked recessive Affected males cannot pass the condition onto their sons. and it showed males affected only. although there were skip generation also. 

Well in their diagram the affected male had affected male grandchildren but if you looked closely it was always a maternal link up, so it did not pass through sons.

However you are indeed correct that an autosomal recessive pattern could produce the same chart, and because the diagram didn't show carriers they both could potentially be correct answers. X recessive was more likely though because Autosomal recessive would have meant that by chance it also always went Grandfather->Mother->Male grandson

Any idea about that 123Ion(whatever) nucleotide, really bothering me that one as can't find any reference to such a thing!

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, tommy blue said:

Any idea about that 123Ion(whatever) nucleotide, really bothering me that one as can't find any reference to such a thing!

I  marked D4.

2 hours ago, icetea said:
9 hours ago, tommy blue said:

I  marked D4.

It was I flumazel, it was for GABA 

15 hours ago, Dranj said:

Dec 2016 paper A
caffeine effects which neurotransmitter
Glutamate hydroxylase is in which NT
function of microglia
Where is CSF formed
Self serving bias
Voroxitine mode of action
Varineciline
Abx c/I with clozapine
Low WBC predisposing factors
Hyponatremia predisposing factors
Antimuscarinic intoxication
Glycine- AMPA
5HT2 dendritic inhibition
QTC effected by most/ least
Not to gv with clozapine - beta blocker?
Erikerikson and mahler and kolnberg
Rating scales
Blood supply neuroanat
Subacute EEG
serotonin syndrome: ankle clonus
Social learning
Which leader will get your commitment not  compliance
DSM 5 schizophrenia,
ICD 10 harmful substance
Autoscopic hallucination
Methylphenidate
Parkinson genetics
Serotonin : median raphe
NMDA antagonist
Which antipepiletic produces most aggression
Which personality test is grid based..
MMPI
Survey of health questionnaire 
Zolpidem acts on which sigma or omega?
Model based on good for all: virtue?
Culture where new norms are prevalent: melting pot?
Child is not involved but involved? Exo something, macro, micro?
Institutional racism
Reason for thirst: hyperglycaemia?hyper and hypocalcemia?
Erikson model but asked differently
Blood supply brain
Notch 3
Genes of Parkinson's
DSM 5- no subtypes schozophrenia
Locus cerulus 
Dopamine- COMT, MAO-B

56 were EMIs
Does anyone remember how many mcqs were there

Zolpidem, omega1

Akinetic mutism, anterior cerebral artery

Raising hand,.bp fall, subclavian artery

Left hemiparesis with right facial numbness, right post inferior cerebellar artery???

Hearing friends voice from another city, extra campine

Formication, haptic hallucinations,

Ventral tegmental area is located in...mid brain

Mmpi, self report

Alzhimers assessment tools, ?? any idea which ones were those?

Attachment behaviour starts at?

Cooking breakfast,, procedural memory

What breakfast is? semantic?

Need to buy for tomorrow? working memory?

Effect of Clozapine, ECt? I thought its very epileptogenic hence will reduce threshold for fits? other options were a bit ambiguous

I thought psycology was tough, neuro and pharma was okish.

Comitment rather than compliance, was it persuasive style.of leadership?

Comitment rather than compliance, was it persuasive style.of leadership?

Mouse and the noise behind the ear of a child when presented with mouse, the conditioned stimulus was?,, was it the mouse? 

Dsm 5 personalities EMI, I guessed one to be schizotypal, dont remember the other two.

The child when.left by.mother and joined by mother and him being angry with mother, attachment pattern? anxious resistant?

People who look attractive are also thought to be intelligent just by appearance? halo effect or beauty effect?

How to reduce group think,, open debate?

Sick role,, there is no desire to get better?.

Any one else remember any other psychology questions plz?

What do you think will be the passing score for this exam?

In the 75-80% range ?

7 hours ago, SSKhan said:

In the 75-80% range ?

I think 65 to 70%.

I think passing percentile would be 65%

The results are usually announced after a month...

But the Royal College website still shows 'TBC'...Since there might be some holidays for Xmas, can we assume the result will be in around 5-6 weeks ?

On 7 December 2016 at 14:18, eve1 said:

Sarah I didn't see the word "Bonnowefverhoni" you mention!,.. could it have been Vorbeigehen which was given as an incorrect answer?

On the topic of Googling things you just can't find, there was an awful question on a radio nucleotide 123-Ionxxxxxx and which receptor does it locate on a scan? (D4, GABA were given as answers).

I cannot find any nucleotide that matches what they gave, does anyone know what it was??

Got it with the help of Google.    

SPECT [I-123]iomazenil measurement of the benzodiazepine receptor ...

I didn't write procedural for the breakfast qn because I always imagined procedural to be more about body movements.. But I agree it would be procedural the exam board is looking for.

"Left hemiparesis with right facial numbness, right post inferior cerebellar artery???"

I must have read that question too fast.. did it mention Right-side facial symptoms and Left-side body symptoms??? I remember a question which was TACI stroke (homonymous hemianopia, and 2 parts of body) and I chose the opposite side Middle Cerebral art.

Was "Bonferroni correction" mentioned in the exam?? I don't know why it is in my mind that it was.

Edited by sarah1114
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, SSKhan said:

The results are usually announced after a month...

But the Royal College website still shows 'TBC'...Since there might be some holidays for Xmas, can we assume the result will be in around 5-6 weeks ?

I contacted the college and they told me results will be out around mid February. Exact date is not known yet. 

-Left hemiparesis with right facial numbness, right post inferior cerebellar artery???  I answered Anterior cerebral artery. 

On 07/12/2016 at 23:24, SSKhan said:

In the 

I think it is lateral medullary syndrome which is posterior inf cerebellar.atery.and as is was left side hemiparesis, it is right post inf cerebeller.m

1 person likes this

On 07/12/2016 at 23:24, SSKhan said:

I hope we get the result quickly. psychology had alot of odd questions. otherwise it was okish.