Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slartibartfast

Pass the part2 Clinicals.your guarandamnteed guide

7 posts in this topic

Thanks so much slarti, I'm sure without your guide to the written I would never have passed - I'm hoping your clinical guide will have the same effect. If I do pass I will owe you big time ;)

Thanks.

Has any body got a marking sheet for the examiners to put on this link?

I have heard that its only few things they have on their marking sheet to tick mark!

This is from an interview form Antony Bateman... chief examiner...

Long case

'In the long case, some end up presenting loads of information when actually we want a relevant story, sorted out in the previous hour,' he says, 'we want a mature doctor who puts information together to tell another doctor about it. And the pitfall is that they start to tell it as if they are a medical student. Some omit a physical examination. If a patient is complaining of frequent headaches the least that they should do is a basic neurological examination.'

Overseas doctors

Overseas doctors are more likely to fail the long case than UK trained candidates. 'Overseas doctors may have language difficulties and our exam is language based: clinical interviews, presentations, reading single statement, whether it's true or false. We try hard to ensure that statements don't have a nuance that only native English speakers would understand,' says Anthony, 'The other aspect overseas doctors find difficult is the clinical. Often their knowledge is excellent, but they might not have had enough practice in our system.'

Uncooperative patients

Many candidates are nervous about patients who may be uncooperative in the long case. 'If anything untoward happens—for example, the patient walks out—that is noted by the people on the ground and the examiner has that information,' Anthony says, 'So we try to ensure people are not disadvantaged by a more problematic case.'

What are examiners looking for?

What are the examiners looking for? 'A safe, sensitive, knowledgeable psychiatrist who is suitable to go through to higher training,' says Anthony, 'They have to have a high level of knowledge on a wide range of areas. They have to have a good level of pharmacology and how drugs interact. They also have to have a basic level of psychological treatments. They need to know some basic neurology, differentiating early dementia in fifty year olds from depression.'

I must stress the fact that reading is important for the exam but

knowing other people's experiences, like going through the posts

on a forum like this, is equally important. Because, this is the

real life reflection of what actually happens, either while preparing

for it or on the actual day.

GOOD LUCK

bumping this up..

apologies for promising to put the marking sheet up and not delivering.. cant find the fricking paper for the life of me..

will have another look in the more odd places tonight..

ive done a pretty comprehensive guide for the clinicals except for the marking sheet and subheadings of history and mse.. and its in the ISQ thread.. here

two things i need to address in addition to the other thread that i see peeps worrying about..

what happens if i get a left field/WTF PMP?

well.. chill out.. answer every single PMP the same way.. dont bat an eyelid and move smoothly into structure.. i.e. issues introduction preassessment dd and management

the key is to keep talking.. and moving on.. the examiners only stop you if you are slow in moving on as their goal is to get to end of management in ten minutes.. so why dont you make that your goal too..

again if youre floundering or taking too much time on usual time wasters like preassessment and ill get information from 1bcdefghijkl blah blah blah.. not a good idea.. ive explained how its done in the thread..

keep the dd's as broadbased as possible.. if they give you old man confused on a ward.. dont jump into delirium.. it should be just one of your dd's.. and have around 6-7 dd's..

as opposed to long case where your diagnoses should be 2-3 max.. maybe 4 if absolutely necessary..

and just as theyll prompt you if you slow down in the pmps the same here.. get to the end of presentation within 10 minutes..

yeah.. bottomline.. dont get too fussed over which PMP they give you.. theyre all the same.. and should be handled in the same way or structure..

the college is trying to teach you to work with a structure (dont let me get into my robot diatribe).. nice guidelines.. standard straightforward thinking..

heck.. if you play it right.. the examiners will hardly have a chance to ask you any questions..

i had my presentation pretty tight all through and was hardly interrupted over the course of the hour... sure a few times.. but not too much.. i was left to my own devices..

so yeah.. make sure you get those few minutes tight..

to help further.. manchester course has a brilliant brilliant BPS table booklet for the long case..

the manchester course booklets for pmps and long case are enough to pass.. they also include common and usually asked osce/observed interviews..

and yeah.. best of luck guys.. its a pretty easy exam really.. people who fail fail either because theyre really bad or had bad luck and arsey examiners giving them shitty reasons like didnt show patient enough empathy..

BTW.. answer questions smoothly.. think SpR and not bumbling SHO..

and yeah.. if youre wondering benzos the night before help..

heres me rooting for you sad SOB's.. just bang the exam boys.. make it scream for mommy..  

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0