Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sarahk

Tips for CASC revision

4 posts in this topic

Hello

I'm really interested to hear what people found useful for revising CASC.

I don't want to spend money on any courses !!!

So anything free that people used and can recommend.  How did you know you've covered enough topics? Were you surprised by stations in the exam (i.e. things you hadn't revised coming up)?

Any tips, I'd be really grateful for.

Thank you

Hello dr.ashratnam,

Congrats on passing the CASC. Can you pls share with us which are all the video sources & Books you went through and found to be useful? And also pls mention about the average preparation time?

Thanks in advance.

On 2/23/2017 at 14:50, wspartan said:

Hello dr.ashratnam,

Congrats on passing the CASC. Can you pls share with us which are all the video sources & Books you went through and found to be useful? And also pls mention about the average preparation time?

Thanks in advance.

On 2/19/2017 at 17:10, ashratnam said:

Dear sarah,

Thanks to the support of friends here, and thanks to the blessings of my parents, well-wishers and patients, I’ve cleared the CASC. This was my first attempt and I can’t put into words how helpful this forum was for me. I tried contacting people who were giving the exam from India, but my attempts to reach out failed meaning I had no one to practice with and was only left to using videos and the odd skype chat. In this situation, here is what I did as part of my preparation

1.       I realised that pretty much ALL the stations are repeats. This may seem sneaky, but if we think about it objectively there are a few core areas that we need to know well in any subject, and the exam would be failing in its purpose if it didn’t assess these core areas for any prospective psychiatrists. So they are bound to have mostly repeats. I first made a list of ALL the past CASC stations that had appeared using the book Pass the CASC by Sheshni Moondilar. I told myself that I would finish and revise ALL of them to at least maximize the chances of there being a lot of ‘familiar’ stations that I could do better at and more so feel comfortable attempting. I made lists of videos in the various video banks and the collection of past stations, subject area wise. This is so both lists can be cross-checked and maximum ground is covered.

2.       If you’re in the same boat as me, get hold of a good video resource. In the stations that I had particular problems with, I made my own mini-cluster cards using videos from PasstheCASC and the along with the book above. Gradually I came to see that most of the interviews were structured in largely the same way – there was an introduction, asking what the patient already knew, then moving on to the body of the interview, and lastly covering risk if so required.

3.       In my own cluster cards, where I was fumbling, instead of symptoms, I entered actual questions to make sure they didn’t slip my mind on the day of the exam.

4.       I made it a point to revise the cards or stations I was fumbling on more than I would revise the other stations. For example, I was initially poor on taking a psychosexual history, but I kept revising it until I was satisfied with my comfort and familiarity levels. The best way to strengthen a weakness is to give it time, even though emotion would want us to avoid it.

5.       I bought a stopwatch and began timing myself to make sure that I could run through a particular card within the specified time period. Also I made sure that I could make myself a rough outline of the cluster card within approximately 90 seconds (the time we were provided before each station). This was a big comforter on the day of the exam so I knew that at least the things I couldn’t reproduce spontaneously I had down on paper

6. There is nothing like getting a practice group going. If you can connect with some people on this forum and practice some stations together, that's a massive massive plus. 

7.       On the day of the exam, I made sure to convey empathy. The actors were all very forthcoming once they knew that you were there with a view to help them as patients. But making sure you convey this I felt was a part of the test itself. This is probably where some of us IMGs struggle, but I feel in your case this is not too much of a weakness.

8.       Finally I stopped relying on anyone else. Honestly, I realized that I was probably going to have to do this on my own. I had attended a course but felt it didn’t do me much good – I was very uncomfortable about how I felt just as lost in the beginning of it as I was at the end of it. It was a situation I knew I had to deal with myself now. So I got the resources together and put in the work.

Best of luck. By coming on this forum and asking questions, you’ve already exponentially increased your chances of passing.

Hello Dr. Ashartnam,

the article you have wrote about your plan with regards to how to pass CASC was great. Thanks, but i have noticed that the quality of voice in pass the CASC videos was not so good on youtube, is it the same in the actual site?

thanks in advance......