shargill23

Canadian resident doctor seeking observership in London

5 posts in this topic

Hi there, 

I'm a fourth year psychiatry resident doctor from Canada. I believe that this is the equivalent of a junior doctor in the UK system. I will graduate from my training program in 2018 and be a full psychiatrist at that point.

I was hoping to undertake some elective training experience in psychiatry in London, UK this fall. It would most likely just be a shadowing/observership experience due to the complicated and difficult process of getting a learner's license and medical malpractice insurance coverage there as an international trainee. I have had a lot of difficulty being able to get in contact with anyone that could help me to set something up for a post-graduate psychiatry elective. The system in the UK seems quite different from Canada... From what I understand, I need to contact consultant doctors directly and find someone who would be willing to take me on and supervise me. So far, I have sent many e-mails and have not had much success. 

Any contacts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Any luck ? 

Hi Shargill123

If you are interesting in wales , near Swansea  i can speak with my consultant for you ,

You could try the Institute of Psychiatry London King's college email addresses which has links to south London and maudsley NHS trust. The King's college website under Institute of psychiatry has contact details for internationals wanting to come to London for shadowing etc.