Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
umesh

will i pass??!!

19 posts in this topic

hi, i had my clinicals yesterday in belfast. the three PMPs for me were OCD, ALCOHOL & DISCONTINUATION symptoms (paroxetine).

my first PMP was OCD and i messed it up big time(i know for sure i have failed in this pmp).....and i cant believe i did like that. one of the examiner was a bit hostile and i think i got real nervous and didnt even tell the basic stuff properly. did other 2 pmp well and my long case went very well.

will i pass even if i have fared worse in one pmp or am i looking at march to resit the new pattern?

can we pass even if we fail in 1 pmp?

Well never mind I had a terrible time in my long case at hegest unit wales. But just believe

josh

Can't give a definite answer but it is possible that you could still pass. Just accept what has happened and that you still did your best given the highly stressful situation. Cheer up and good luck! :)

I'm certain to fail.

Messed up one PMP the other 2 went ok. The long case? Where do I begin- the patient was very thought disordered and walked out after 20 minutes. He came back when he couldn't open the locked door of the corridor we were in- needed a fob. Was pretty pissed off. I had no way of informing the staff that this man with a long history of violence was hacked off and wanted a roll up. No further history to be had. Patient was very labile and I felt quite vulnerable. He alternated between crying loudly and shouting. Not impressed with that situation. Very different during observed interview. Just appeared thought disorded but was quite settled.

Roll on spring!! No patients and actors won't do this.

Jul

Oh dear - very rough day but fingers crossed, although I'm also looking to next year after my PMP fiasco

Surely they can't mark you down for that. You could write a letter to the college explaining your difficulties before the results come out, they might take pity on you.

My expeerience was a lot different. I was not scared of my 19 stone patient who had served 15 years in a maximum security prison for murder. The murder itself was an impulsive act in a chap with Borderline Personality Disorder, Schizoaffective disorder. There I was behind closed doors alone with this dangerous man, whilst he recounted how the voices in his head told him to do nasty things. I didn't have an alarm, still, not a care in the world, it was the following 30 minutes that made me want to pea in my pants - I had to face the examiners!

What kind of person elects to become an examiner - someone who should have been a school-master weildng cane!

Yet again I got a poor historian in long case. Examiners never seem to make allowances for this - they grilled me hard. My examiner actually looked like Theo Paphitis from Dragon's Den. When I came out I was caked in sweat!! Infact my patient even got her own name wrong! When I mentioned her name the examiners raised their eyebrows and it took 5 mins to convince them that I had seen the correct patient!!

Because it took so long to get anything coherent out of her I ran out of time at the end and couldn't draw up tables for aetiology, management, Ix. I therefore had to 'wing it' in front of the examiners which never goes down well.

Where I work we find pts for the exam that are able to give a good history! Why oh why does this not happen at other units!!!!!

Rant over!  ;)

I understand your frustration. Had a pt with L.D,no collateral history-nurse that accompanied pt said he didnt know pt, alcohol use,sex offender and anti-social p.d traits-pt didnt seem to think any problems-painful laborous extraction of history!!!!!! examiners stony faced(surprise,surprise ) so really dont know what happened! They may have just let me crash and burn!!!!! : >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

My examiners in both long case and PMPs were nice- smiley and encouraging with the body language on the whole- but the long case guys swooped unerringly on the less than thorough bit of history that I'd done- that's their job, I suppose. Oh well, at least it's over. :-/

:-X :-/ Thinking about my own performance and experience, a bit of relieving and flashbacks are invoked. However, the reality is it's over and lots of optimism are handy in handling life!

well can one get some post exam debriefing?????

Jeez the PTSD is killing....cant stop the flashbacks, pretty intrusive...

anyone good at trauma-focused CBT cos i need it badly!!!! :(

Hi jacker

Hope you are feeling better

I just tell myself that I will have better days and that I have learned things about myself which I hoped I would never learn but still useful etc.

Thanks Therapy,

that sure was a therapeutic statement.tell u what? i do feel better life goes on, the worst that can happen is a delay in your dreams but not necessarily that u wont make that dream.

enjoy the rest of the waiting game! ;)

exactly

we will know what we need to do when the results are out; until then there is no pint in torturing ourselves

good luck!!!!!

well.....i hav made peace with my mind......by deciding that if i pass i will party by DRINKING with my friends (lots f them).......and if i fail.... i will still party by DRINKING with my friends (few of them).........cos what the heck......for all the mental tension and torture i have gone through slogging day in and day out for the exam.......its time for party.....some good food, good music, good company and lots & lots of alcohol........be it for the right reason or the wrong one.......and i hav 19 days to go for the party.......hope it will turn out for the right reason!!!! :lol:;)

Either way you get to drink, sounds like the perfect plan.

well.....i hav made peace with my mind......by deciding that if i pass i will party by DRINKING with my friends (lots f them).......and if i fail.... i will still party by DRINKING with my friends (few of them).........cos what the heck......for all the mental tension and torture i have gone through slogging day in and day out for the exam.......its time for party.....some good food, good music, good company and lots & lots of alcohol........be it for the right reason or the wrong one.......and i hav 19 days to go for the party.......hope it will turn out for the right reason!!!! :lol:;)

:-? ::) Well, what do I say? Hope the peace-making lasts.

well , alcohol doesn't work for me (I can't drink enough) but I am planning a holiday, to USA; I am meeting old friends 12 years after graduation from meds school, it will be interesting although they both have made it to consultant level there and it might be a bit embarassing if I fail etc

hey trip 2 BIG APPLE sounds great.....u couldnt hav asked for a better way to spend ur waiting period for exam result.....as 4 ur friends....so what f they r done with their 3 yrs f residency....when it comes to quality f life i m sure u would hav had a far better one here n UK.....cos i hv heard sometimes they work for 36 hours at a stretch n residency......thats dogs job....

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0