Drachma21

Extra Income for Psychiatrists

9 posts in this topic

I thought a thread might be useful for compiling a list of opportunities to earn extra money.

Obviously there are locum shifts both through agencies and trusts in addition to s12 work

Others I have found are online surveys. Brand institute offer surveys £10 per time and I get around two per month. Each takes maybe 15 mins.

Another I've found is for the CASC courses. The oxford course offer £250 per day and they have some availability at the end of august.

Does anybody know of any more?

DoLS, LPoA, wills, court reports.

What do you do for CASC courses?

You work as a mock examiner and give feedback. 

How do you get involved in DoLS and LPoA's? Are court reports more if you're a forensic trainee/consultant?

Yes, court reports are more prevalent in forensic psychiatry. LPoA, wills, and DoLS capacity assessment  more in Old Age. Training for DoLS can be online:

http://www.e-lfh.org.uk/programmes/deprivation-of-liberty-safeguards/

To get the work ask a friendly social worker who the DoLS Lead is in your area and let them know you're available,

For LPoA, let the solicitors know you're available. They will refer to you if they can't get the GP or sector psychiatrist to do it. 

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 16:53, Drachma21 said:

I thought a thread might be useful for compiling a list of opportunities to earn extra money.

Obviously there are locum shifts both through agencies and trusts in addition to s12 work

Others I have found are online surveys. Brand institute offer surveys £10 per time and I get around two per month. Each takes maybe 15 mins.

Another I've found is for the CASC courses. The oxford course offer £250 per day and they have some availability at the end of august.

Does anybody know of any more?

Thanks @Drachma21

This is a good thread ,money matters is always great .

Please could you kindly  say a bit more about the brand institute surveys and links to getting on to them.

As I use my mobile internet that often I might as well get some money for it.(smile)

Yep it's https://www.brandinstitute.com/memberservices/register.asp

It's surveys asking for your opinion on proposed drug names for pharmaceutical companies.. everything from whether they look or sound like existing names or medical terms to your preference

On 15/08/2017 at 16:20, Zoran said:

Yes, court reports are more prevalent in forensic psychiatry. LPoA, wills, and DoLS capacity assessment  more in Old Age. Training for DoLS can be online:

http://www.e-lfh.org.uk/programmes/deprivation-of-liberty-safeguards/

To get the work ask a friendly social worker who the DoLS Lead is in your area and let them know you're available,

For LPoA, let the solicitors know you're available. They will refer to you if they can't get the GP or sector psychiatrist to do it. 

Zoran any approximate amounts you can give us for what you earn in both vs how long it takes to do?

I've not done DoLS but I know it pays similar to MHA, cc £180. Standard capacity assessments that solicitors ask for are £100-200. I don't do court reports.

Appraisal work is paid as well. I've not done it, before you ask.

I recommend if you have friends wishing to locum, refer them to Locum Agencies. I refer mine to an agency called CAMHS professionals and get £300 per consultant psychiatrist once they start a job, Easy money Fast. 

Edited by Dr Craig Winters