Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pappu

Result Anxiety

20 posts in this topic

Hiya, I know I shouldn't be asking this to others but I can not keep it self. I am getting more and more anxious as the days are coming closer and closer to 14th Dec. Is there anyone else having the same symptoms? Yes/no....in any case please tell me how to deal with it? I cant do CBT on self, please advice!!!!!!!!!!! :-? :-/

I found this advice given by one of my previous consultants useful.

When we wait for the results, a decision has already been made. We pass or fail on the day of exam. If we pass and end up having bad days before the result is out, it sounds foolish. On the other hand if we fail and already had spent some bad days before actually beginning to mourn, its only prolonging the agony. Either way, its unhelpful. So its better to celebrate or mourn after the results.

THis piece is my own suggestion

Till the time keep the company of people with good will or speak to friends/family over phone and talk about the good things.

In the grand scheme of things, exam results have a little role to play.

Imagine the day 10 years from now, when you are a consultant, i bet you will have a load of problems to tackle with.

In the grand scheme of things, exam results have a little role to play.

Imagine the day 10 years from now, when you are a consultant, i bet you will have a load of problems to tackle with.

Unfortunately, the road to become a consultant has been blocked for some of us. But I agree that in the grand scheme of things exams have little role- or for that matter even becoming a consultant.

I think the key is to just let go and forget all about it. Find some things to do and enjoy your life. Distraction is the key I guess. Just remember that if you don't pass this time there's always next time when you'll be better prepared than ever!!!

we can apply some CBT techniques on ourselves

ex; in case you fail what negative automatic thoughts are triggerred? what does it mean about you etc

than we can challange them

or: if we fail what is the worst case scenario and what is the evidence for it? what does actually mean etc?

to be honest I don't have so much anxiety before the days before results; my anxiety usually peaks just before the exam itself

:);):lol: Some degree of anxiety and apprehension is essntially useful and productive in life-generally speaking-and can be a spur for us in our every day dealings with life. Yes, I do think of the last exam from time to time and reflect on my questions/performance and what could've been, etc. I guess that's normal.

i wish quite a few f us who r waiting for exam results can meet up n some place one evening.......do all the bitching about the exam, examiners, how v fared, what v missed, what v did well, how v prepared 4 exam.....and a lot more nonsense....so that it will b sort f talking therepy for all of us........kind of self help group!!!! :lol:;)

and later hit a pub....and another....and another....till early hours the next day so that when v getup in the morning (or afternoon)........v r done with the anxiety f results.......anyone game for it???!!!!

;) ::) 8-) Good suggestion, umesh

i wish quite a few f us who r waiting for exam results can meet up n some place one evening.......do all the bitching about the exam, examiners, how v fared, what v missed, what v did well, how v prepared 4 exam.....and a lot more nonsense....so that it will b sort f talking therepy for all of us........kind of self help group!!!! :lol:;)

and later hit a pub....and another....and another....till early hours the next day so that when v getup in the morning (or afternoon)........v r done with the anxiety f results.......anyone game for it???!!!!

the evening of 13th Dec. sounds good.............

the evening of 13th Dec. sounds good.............

Dont forget to send my invitation card :lol:

hmm...funnily enough I am supposed to see a patient for psychotherapy exactly at 10 am on the 14 when the results are out, I can't think what sort of countertransference feelings will occur?

Adjust the time on the clock in your therapy room by 5 mins.

Also think about sneaking into the waiting room and doing the same there.

Check your results.

See the patient, and pretend that everything is normal.

I would find it really difficult to concentrate on the session if I didn't know the result.

On the other hand I would find it difficult to concentrate if I did. If I were to fail i would be morose and ruminating about the exam. If I passed I would be euphoric and in a hurry to tell everyone.

I think on balance I would definitely want to know before the session.

one hour will not make such a difference...

I would probably wait, but make sure you have switched off your mobile, so that happy friends are not calling to congratulate you....

good luck!

I'm with you on  that one, Godzilla!

The more time goes by, the more I'm convinced I did really badly- I think of things I should have said when my memory of what they even asked for has gone hazy!!! That way madness lies. I'm trying to repress the whole thing now. If I've failed, I might as well have 2 more weeks of happiness first. If I've passed, how stupid to have spent this time fretting.

To be fair, Therapy, I have spent loads of time at the results deadline trying to access the damn page on the RC website, and only getting through ages later. (Always convinced the little elves running along the wires from the royal college had me as the last stop on the computer network  :lol:) Last time, I got a knock on the door when I was interviewing a Pt and was really pissed off being totally engrossed in the pt interview...only found out after it was my mate trying to tell me I'd passed the written!

Switch off your phone, see the patient, and if you think it's a difficult session- it's probably you!

hey 13th december sounds perfect.....but in case people r apprehensive that the results r next day and they dont want to go out the previous day....then we can do it on 12th instead......either way it will be fun if a few of us meetup.........i m sure we will hav lots f interesting stuff to speak about....

as 4 the venue.....lets think of the cities......i suggest leeds, manchester or sheffied.......we can meet in a pub initially....few drinks(only) and then do all the bitching....and then hav dinner in a nice place....ofcourse we will continue with the bitching!!!!

reason for choosing these 3 cities- they r sort of centrally situated geographically (not exactly i suppose).....and the main reason is these r close to huddersfield where i live :)....i dont drive guys so it will be easy for me to come!!

so we need numbers now....how many r willing to come.....just think, in case we manage to meetup and hav a blast......few years down the lane, the exam result may or may not be memorable but our meeting will definitely be memorable for ever......we can laugh at it thinking about it many years from now!!!!

so who's on board? and whats ur first choice (city)........fingers crossed i am hoping atleast 5 of us will meet...anything more will be great and perfect....

:lol:;):) How about Brighton. Blackpool and Bournemouth-great cities, great beaches and great gate-aways!

Hiya, Thank you very much for all the suggestions and support. Its really been useful...especially diverting my mind.......(difficult task but i have been managing myself). Getting together is a great idea as well.... ::) :). I am up for it...... who else is coming......... and where???????? :-*

I'm with you on  that one, Godzilla!

The more time goes by, the more I'm convinced I did really badly- I think of things I should have said when my memory of what they even asked for has gone hazy!!! That way madness lies. I'm trying to repress the whole thing now. If I've failed, I might as well have 2 more weeks of happiness first. If I've passed, how stupid to have spent this time fretting.

To be fair, Therapy, I have spent loads of time at the results deadline trying to access the damn page on the RC website, and only getting through ages later. (Always convinced the little elves running along the wires from the royal college had me as the last stop on the computer network  :lol:) Last time, I got a knock on the door when I was interviewing a Pt and was really pissed off being totally engrossed in the pt interview...only found out after it was my mate trying to tell me I'd passed the written!

Switch off your phone, see the patient, and if you think it's a difficult session- it's probably you!

Where do you get such ideas from? wherever...........it's good....anyway...I will be in a clinic as well where I can't take my phone....that solves my problem.

hello everyone

I was enjoying myself and managed to block the memory of the exam. I was doing a locum in the last 2 weeks and did not have computer access :D. I was on the impression that the results will come out on the 18th, I don't why I had this impression, and I was surperised to know it is the 14th :-[ any way what will come will come ::)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0