Zoran

Diploma of Legal Medicine (DLM)

5 posts in this topic

Considering but there isn't much revision material available.

I passed it in October last year. All you need is HERRING: Medical Law and Ethics, 6th edition. Pay particular attention to cases described there as some questions are about them.

Anything else, just go through the syllabus given on the DLM website and look up definitions and some basic info wherever you can, including Wikipedia. Some questions are related to working knowledge most doctors have (eg order of listing causes of death), and some quite specific to the MHA thus easy for psychiatrists. It is a very doable exam. You can get it done this year in October.

I'm thinking of doing this exam in October too.

Did you use Herrings for each of the topics on the syllabus?

Some of the topics aren't very helpful because the syllabus reference is so broad it's difficult getting a sense of the level of detail needed.

I normally just cram but that doesn't look like a very good option for an exam like this! lol

You have plenty of time, you don't need to cram. Herring is very readable, learn as much as you can from it and just expand a bit on medical ethics from any other source. Learn well the medico-legal aspects of what you normally do in your medical/psychiatric job, lots of questions will be from there. There is a good mix of basic knowledge and definitions and some more obscure details which you don't really need to know.