Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vikidoc2005

Impact of current format clinicals on trainees!

18 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just a fun poll to find out whether any of you are suffering from the devastating effects of Part 2 clinicals like me. We should try and support each other through this difficult aka horrendous month  ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We're assuming everyone has obsessional ruminations, then? ;)

I don't want to boast, but I'd just like to say- I have slept through for 2 nights in a row now!!!!! After 6 months of EMW, it feels like freedom- however short-lived!

I particularly like the feeling I get when I go home. I initially feel like I don't want to do any revision that night, then I feel guilty for not doing any, then I feel this great feeling when I remember it's finished and I'm just waiting for the result. So it's good for now until the week before the results when no doubt I'll get worried again and have flashbacks.

I don't remember giving the clinicals but the voices say so!

It is really a rollercoaster ride, the part 2 clinicals. You are initially relaxed then you get very anxious about the results after a week or two. The whole process is an exercise in anxiety management really.

Hey Shrinkking!!!!!

horrid images..horrid memories....where in the world did u lift that picture from????

I'm not sure other specialties have this kind of PTSD post exams...now i sit back and think of a medical reg who saw me working(liaison) by about past 6pm and she went like...wow :o psychiatrist?....still working by past 6?..thought u guys finish by 3pm????? I looked at her lost for words i just said....now u know better!!!!!

when i think of such people and what we all are going thru now i feel like going back and giving her a good shake!she probably felt she was all that being a medical registrar!

oh well if there's one thing we've got it's resilience..we can weather the storm..hail ye hail ye!

[highlight]I don't remember giving the clinicals but the voices say so[/highlight]!

same here and also all my colleagues keep reminding me byy asking how the exam was? how i wish nobody will ask...and the thing is they will want to know every detail which then becomes like reliving the experience again

Guys, I hate to tell you all this but it's over! You need to move on an dfind some other things to do with those evenings and weekends now. I know it can be difficult at first, especially going cold turkey from all that revision, so why not try some sort of gradual reducing regime. Do an hour a night , then after a couple of days cut down to 1/2 hour revision, and 1/2 hour of reading a nice novel or a trashy magazine, keep gradually replacing the revision with enjoyable reading, then try to phase that out slowly if you wish.... ;)

Good luck with it all, hope you all get the result you are after!

Thanks Chris!

I am trying to do just you said; still your differential didn't inlude much else than addiction...

I would consider an OCD spectrum disorder. In this case response prevention would be the best way forward, with a graduated approach. Try thinking about putting away the revision books, then wait until that anxiety has settled, then try approaching a book with the intention of putting it back in your bookshelf. Try carrying books closer and closer the the bookshelf, until you get to the stage where you can place them back on shelves with only limited anxiety. Might be best to get a CBT person to help....!

ha ha.

I had just started to live again when all those on calls I had swapped out of came and bit me on the ass

Ha!

I particularly like

Be involved with other survivors

If you go to funerals or memorial services, this may help you to come to terms with what has happened. It can help to spend time with others who have been through the same experience as you.

Forum meet, anyone?

the national association of victims of college exams including those who passed

is it too late to include the syndrome in ICT11 ?

also I was wondering wether we could get some compensation

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0