jzm2sg

Sponsored/Free international conferences

2 posts in this topic

I am an NHS consultant psychiatrist who is passionate about research and travelling/learning about other cultures/systems. NHS study budget is £1000 a year and is almost entirely wiped off to pay one conference fee. I usually present a few poster and oral presentations per conference. I foot a lot of the accommodation and travel bills, but I can't afford it for more than one 4 day conference. My managers say there is no room for increasing the budget. Can we pool our ideas on being able to present valuable research  and learn more through attending more conferences. What options do we have for:

1.drug rep sponsored (travel/accommodation/fee) conferences as was commonplace 15-20 years ago?

2.free/very cheap fee/widely subsidised conferences? 

I know my own ethics and feel on balance working with a drug rep company would enable more learning, research and benefit to the patient. Are there legit ways or contacts we can explore through this whilst working for the NHS (which I am passionate about despite more lucrative opportunities in the private sector).

how about psychiatric trainee from other countries outside EU?