Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drabhinavr

locum rates

6 posts in this topic

What's the locum market like at the moment?  What rates are people getting at consultant level and how much does it translate in terms of take home pay.  I hear different stories from different people.  Some say its only marginally better than routine salary whilst others say you can earn much more..

Crapped rates, take home not worth getting out of bed for. You risk personal injury, malpractice complaint, car accident, no sick leave, no study leave, no worker's rights ... You're better off emigrating or going home. 

On 7/12/2018 at 19:45, drabhinavr said:

What's the locum market like at the moment?  What rates are people getting at consultant level and how much does it translate in terms of take home pay.  I hear different stories from different people.  Some say its only marginally better than routine salary whilst others say you can earn much more..

Dear DRABHINAVR,

I can confirm that whilst it varies marginally on location, average Consultant hourly rate for a Consultant Psychiatrist ranges between 153k - 171k pa. you should also note that is not uncommon for an to contribute towards some of the cost below, where you are a full time locum through and completed certain amount of hours, i know we do:

- revalidation 

- appraisal 

- dbs

- mandatory training 

- travel/ accommodation 

From a market demand view point, the need for consultant psychiatrists remains very strong.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do let us know.

ProMedical

01277 212 797

mentalhealth@promedical.co.uk 

On 12 July 2018 at 22:18, Zoran said:

Crapped rates, take home not worth getting out of bed for. You risk personal injury, malpractice complaint, car accident, no sick leave, no study leave, no worker's rights ... You're better off emigrating or going home. 

£76.10 per hour capped rate. Assuming you have a month off a year I make that £144k (40hr week) and £86k after tax. Gosh.. Not worth getting out of bed for that! You know what most people make working minimum wage jobs? Sheesh

I suppose you're right when you compare yourself to a strawberry picker.

On 18/07/2018 at 20:06, Drachma21 said:

£76.10 per hour capped rate. Assuming you have a month off a year I make that £144k (40hr week) and £86k after tax. Gosh.. Not worth getting out of bed for that! You know what most people make working minimum wage jobs? Sheesh

am I right in assuming that this calculation does not take employer NI into account?  After 6 years as a consultant with CEA points, I still don't earn £86k after tax, so locum pay still looks better..