yazanHalasa

Psychiatry Residency in the UK

3 posts in this topic

hey everyone i just signed up and i'm sorry if i posted in the wrong forum.

I'll be graduating medical school later this year from The University Of Jordan , wanting to specialize in psychiatry since as long as i can remember, however unfortunately my country doesn't have any exceptional psychiatry programs, I've worked in mental health for the past two years starting one of the first mental health campaigns in Jordan with over 200 volunteers and various collaboration with the WHO, USAID, Autism MENA and the Jordanian Government. 

although i have a basic understanding of  the process but what are the chances of me getting into psychiatry upon completing my PLAB's and foundation training, i know the U.S is a more popular option for IMG's due to a faster pace and higher income however i cant imagine working in a system where people are just perusing monetary gain.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Yazan. Congratulations on your graduation. I did a live Facebook video on job opportunities in the UK (in the Arabic language) in which I answered questions on applying and working in the UK. If you complete the PLAB, you could apply to psychiatry jobs. Training jobs may be more difficult to get, but there are many non-training jobs across the UK. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any further information. 

Hello, I would like to ask how difficult it is for an IMG to get psy training jobs in UK? Do they have to wait for long time? Is it very competitive?

Thanks