Insaf

Please help

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I was wondering, which is better, 

A- Having a job in any field

B- Start clinical attachment in psychiatry

I am planning to start psychiatry training in August 2019, I couldn't find a job in psychiatry field as most of the offers need psychiatry experience. 

Hi Insaf. Having a job in psychiatry or a clinical attachment is better than having work experience in any other field. However, you could work in any medical speciality and then find an aspect related to psychiatry in that job that you could use to highlight how that enhanced your understanding of the psychiatric aspect of any medical or surgical condition. My first NHS post was in ENT before entering psychiatry training, so I was able to discuss how mental health problems co-existed in some ENT disorders, such as depression following diagnosis and treatment of head and neck cancers. All the best. 

Thanks, Yasir, That's was really helpful.

I agree with Yasir, except for a slight change in order. My preference would be:

1 Job in psychiatry

2 Job in another field

3 Clinical attachment in psychiatry

In addition to psychiatric comorbidity that you will come across in 2, there will be transferable medical skills that you will gain, general experience of working for the NHS, and of course the benefits of actually earning. You will have good access to the local psychiatric department and you could always ask them to spend one session a week with them to show your special interest in psychiatry. 

Edited by Zoran

Thanks, Zoran, really appreciate it.