Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LocumSHO

Critical appraisal/Journal club - can anyone help?

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'd be grateful for help with critical appraisal of journal papers. Please advise if this topic should be discussed on a different board. 

I recently did a "critical appraisal" presentation (at our local teaching programme for our junior doctors) on "Experiences of in-patient mental health services: systematic review" (published in the June 2019 issue of the British Journal of Psychiatry - Volume 214, Issue 6).

I used the critical appraisal checklist provided on the CASP website. There are, of course, other similar checklists available from other sources, e.g., the checklist provided on the SIGN website.

Reflecting on my presentation afterwards, I felt there had been room for improvement. Presenting the "findings" of the systematic review was straightforward, but assessing/critiquing the "rigour" of their methodology was a little harder. In the end, I essentially highlighted the strengths and limitations of the review as identified by the authors themselves, I felt I didn't have many points of my own to add.

In the weeks/months ahead, I hope to present a few more such "critical appraisal" presentations. I will be looking for systematic reviews and/or meta-analyses published in the "big name" journals, e.g., the British Journal of Psychiatry, JAMA Psychiatry, etc., published within the last 1 or 2 years, and that are likely to be of some clinical relevance, and critically appraise these papers with a view to preparing presentations for our local junior doctor teaching programme. It would be greatly appreciated if others here could provide any assistance/suggestions.

Edited by LocumSHO