Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Feedback on Spring 2002 essay paper

6 posts in this topic

After the exam I'd appreciate it if someone could post the essay questions in this forum. Thanks.

Hi this is my first post at this excellent forum.The foll. were the essay Qns from y'day's exam...

1. Treatment resistant depression must only be treated by biological methods and be provided by tertiary services.Discuss this critically with reference to the evidence base.

2.Early intervention in schizophrenia is critical for good long term outcome. Discuss this assertion and outline its implications for the provision of psychiatric services.

3. Discuss the role played by (?early) childhood adversity in causing (?adult) mental disorder with specific reference to personality disorder and ?something else.

I'm afraid I don't remember the exact wording of the last essay...as you've probably guessed, I steered well clear of that Qn!! :)

I think it was personality disorder and affective disorders.

The third question was very subtly worded although I can't remember it exactly. It went something like

Discuss the relationship between adverse childhood experience and the development of psychiatric illness in adulthood and beyond paying particular reference to personality disorder and affective disorders

The reference to adulthood and beyond threw me a bit - i interpreted this as meaning how does early adverse experience influence psychiatric illness in the geriatric population - although I may have been reading this too literally - it is difficult to see how to interpret this otherwise

I remembered sitting there at the beginning thinking that the questions were quite reasonable. However I avoided the first two questions on tx resistant depression and first episode psychosis because I assumed that critical references would mean the difference between a pass and fail and I wasn't confident that I would know those references. I have heard that you need to mention three points in order to pass. Unfortunately my wimping out for the third option backfired on me because this topic i.e of early childhood experience is just huge and half the problem is trying to fit it into an 1.5 hour essay. I spent something like 45 minutes on the introduction and didn't have too much time left for the main part of the essay which I assume is where the marks are. Time allocation is incredibly important.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0