Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Feedback on Part II Essay paper Spring 2003

23 posts in this topic

Please post your thoughts on this paper. If you can remember the essay titles, that'd be really appreciated!

;)

Questions

1) Describe how you would implement psychiatric services in a prison setting.

2) Compare depression in children and adults with respect to presentation, aetiology etc

3) Sorry my poor memory has let me down but to do with bulimia

1) how does the presentation and treatment of depression is different in children and adolescents than adults. discuss the implications of the differences.

2) how should mental disorders be treated in prisoners

3) discuss the psychological and pharmacological treatment of bulimia nervosa. how does this affect primary and secondary services

something like those but the wording is wrong

it was differences in presentation, assessment and treatment of depression in C/A and implications.

Did anyone in their spotting predict these essays? I was way off the mark, and slightly numb when I read them. &nbsp:lol:id the prisoners one anyway.

So much for Manchester Course predictions.

q1.how does the presentation,assessment and treatment of depression differ in children and adolescents when compared to adults. discuss the implications of the difference.

q2. how would you organise high quality psychiatrc services in the mentally disordered population in prisons

Question 1 of the Essay paper (Spring 2003) was :

The presentation, assessment and treatment of depression in children and adolescents differs from that in adults. &nbsp:lol:iscuss the implications.

Essay - Spring 2003 (unable to recall exact wording)

Question 2 :

Prison mental health - discuss the implications for service

Question 3:

Discuss the pharmacological and psychological treatment of bulimia nervosa and the implication for primary and secondary care services.

:o

The Forensic question was along the lines of...

'discuss the issues involved in providing high quality psychiatric care to mentally disordered prisoners'

The essays were not ones I had predicted - here's hoping for the best!

They werent questions I'd spotted at all

I really think old age or PD will come up next time !

Or bipolar (NICE, SIGN and BAP guidelines on the way, and APA updated their guidelines April last year)

:o :o :o

Again way off the mark with predictions!

However due to now showing signs of PTSD consultant seems expressly worried, especially after the amount of people off sick in my dept!

??? No more spotting it only leads to haemorrhage!

after the disaster with critical appraisal ,the nightmare continued with the essay paper !!!!!did manage to put in something sensible towards the conclusion , but can't remember it now . If this isn't PTSD , then what is???was completely knocked -off again ,by the MCQ's. A bit disillusioned by the whole experience ( my first go at part 2 , and almost swore never to return!!!).

But since the exam has got out of the way , feeling a bit vacant .What about U all ?? Anything exciting happening out there???

:) Mental Health Services in Prisons has been a hot topic over the last year or so and we had prepared for this topic for the Spring 2002 Exam.

Other hot topics at that time were :

;)Anti Dementia Drugs

::)Parental Mental Health

:DSuicide prevention in a service/catchment area

:lol:Should Cannabis be legalised?

BMJ/ Editorials in BJPsych/ APT are the best ways to prepare for the essay. Predicting the topics doesn't really help since the question is very specific and the topic may rather be very broad and it is the question that needs to be answered. So please don't bother about predicting the essays.

can any one state some of the issues involved in providing high quality psychiatric care to the mentally disordered in prison?i am interested in this topic

BJPsych April 2003 has a useful review article and an editorial on mental health care in prisons.

Ah - but if only you had secretly mentioned this 2 weeks ago Charlotte - alas! - APT will be running it too in the next edition as part of the series on minority groups.

Hi,

An essay on Prison mental health was a possibility. This topic had come up repeatedly in APT and BJPsych, with the review article in April 03 being on this.

Besides, it is one of the topics of focus in the Mental health policy implementation guides, as given in the NIMHE website.

(nimhe.org.uk or something like that).

I couldn't help but noticing how those confident rats with all the knowledge wait for a week or so before adding their 'of course it was a forensic essay' replies.Of course I'm jealous.But, I used the 'How to p :-/ass the Essay' book and its suggested method of spotting DIDN'T work. And, I hadnt received Aprils BJPsych. by the exam, And I feel sick about tomorrow. I wouldnt recommend spotting for exams.. but, what do I know?

he lily, cheer up forget about the overconfident rats. pass or fail is not the end of the world. there is always next time for everything. anyway all the best. why r the results not yet on the web

can any one state some of the issues involved in providing high quality psychiatric care to the mentally disordered in prison?i am interested in this topic

I wrote on the prison topic (didn't spot it) so applied broad principles:-

1)MDO's (mentally disordered offenders) suffer a double whammy w.r.t.  stigma ie mental illness and the label of prisoner. Went on to describe effects of stigma

-> disrimination->disability->greater stigma (Sartorius reference)

2) MDO's have special social pressures- away from family and support, little privacy, minimal income

3) Prisons are institutions->the betrayal tunnel etc (Goffmann)

1 & 2 make the incidence of illness higher while all of the above make provision of services difficult in addition to safe-gaurding the safety of staff and the secure holding of prisoners is essential

Also prison wardens while staff are not nurses esp not mental health nurses.

Then went in NSF guidelines and what would be the minimum service necessary but that while working with the prison service as a psychitric team it would probably only be feasible to spend much time within the physical confines it would be important to keep an awareness in the setting up and running of the service of a separate identity to ensure being 'part of the institution' was as minimal as possible. (NSF guidelines, all 7 of them)

Also spoke about the difficulty with non sectioned MDO's and the importance of continuity of care yadda, yadda, yadda.

There was an article in the yellow journal from the Fri before our written on this topic. I panicked when I saw (only the w/e after writing). It took a completely different tack but I passed the written.

I failed the clinical so got my mark for this essay, only 8 so perhaps use this as an example of what not to do!

important topics for Part 2 AUTUMN WOULD BE

PTSD

OCD

ANTIDEMENTIA DRUGS

OLD AGE PSYCHIATRY

BIPOLAR DISORDER

LEARNING DIFFICULTIES

CANNABIS TREATMENT AND LEGALIZATION

POSTNATAL DEPRESSION OR PSYCHOSIS

SERVICES FOR WOMEN

Dr Hussain

Ireland