Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Navdeep

ESSAY PREDICTIONS - AUTUMN 2004

40 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!

Anyone preparaing for Autumn 2004 or is everyone appearing this time itself!

I am wondering if we could list predictions for Autumn 2004 essays, since we already know what has already come this time (Spring 2004).

??? ::)

I am revising for the Autumn. -Part II at the moment finding it hard to get the momentum going again!

The latest Royal College campaign is about carers, and there have been a couple of articles about this in the APT, so maybe it's a hot topic. or at least a lukewarm one. Can't think of a snappy essay title though.

I guess it could be something about the input of carers in setting up a service. Patients as parents is another important area I think.

yes, patients as parents is a topical issue...my consultant thinks perinatal services are a possible area for the essay.

I think stigma in psychiatry could be an essay this time!! :-/ ;)

LD is well overdue and there has been tonnes of stuff on elderly carers services for LD as well as LD as parents. Needs of elderly LD themselves was one I did a plan for and one worth a side bet.

che

Hvae they done one on comorbidity of mental and physical health eg depression and cardiac morbidity and 5HT and platelets?

I think essay predictions for the last time could be used this time as well (hopefully minus the ones which came up!):

Services for the Old Age Psych patients.

Mental health services for the refugees.

Stigma of Psychiatric illnesses.

::) ???

ADHD has been recenly debated and was an editorial in the last one year in BJP.

The Current APT began a series of reviews in advances developmental neuropsychiatry relating to adult outcomes. This started with ' ADHD in adults: Validity unknown

This is one of the current hot topic.

The essay question I could formulate is

ADHD is best understood as a cultural consrtuct and psychostimulants are used inappropriatly to treat child and adolescent disorders.

Discuss critically

just a brief perusal thru' the editorials list showed that SUICIDE in some form or the other appears frequently...

Can anyone think of a question?

The following are the predictions

Bipolar Affective Disorders

Personality Disorders - current legal issues, treatability, mental health act

Child Psychiatry - ADHD

Learning Disabilities - Autism

Cannabis - ( addiction psychiatry last exam topic was dual diagnosis - so it may or may not come)

Women disorder - post partum disorders - a favorite topic which has not come for long - may come this time

Last three exams - psychotherapy has been a favourite topic so it may come again.

Yes ADHD is an important topic and which has been in the media in the last few months and could well make a potential question. There is not much material on Adult ADHD though. That article in current APT on ADHD does not give much material on ADHD (as it is there is not much material available on Adult ADHD).

Eli Lilly has come out with Atomoxetine for use in Adult ADHD and is currently doing multi centre trials in UK.

I agree perinatal mental health too is an important topic for Essay.

Regarding ADHD

Even though the article in current APT is about Adult ADHD, it gives fairly good information about the evolution of the concept of ADHD in general and about the diagnostic validity.

There are couple of articles in BJP

ADHD is best understood as a cultural construct BJP (2004), 184, 8-9

Are psychostimulantsdrugs being used appropriately to treat Child and adolescent disorders ?

(2003), 182, 284-286

Hey Guys

Don't you think we've covered the whole of psychiatry in the above discussion.

Reality is, the college can ask anything but generally there will be one General question which you can really write even not having prepared at all but don't waffle anything and everthing you know about Psychiatry.

Second will be from a specialty where you will neded to be focused and precise.

Third is usually in 'French' everybody can just about read it but most of us have no clue on it at all.

'Service provisions for people with Learning Diasabilities and their care in Community' is a potential  one this time.

Can i just make one point.few people who did not clear the exam last time made one small mistake..they relied too much on predicted essays. what is more advisable is to have a look at what is recent but if you look at the essay questions per se you need to have a bit of wider knowledge rather than just the focussed reading of a 'hot topic.

NICE guidance on treatment of people who deliberately self-harm is out tomorrow (4 pages in today's Independent as well, so certainly high profile)

NICE guidance on treatment of people who deliberately self-harm is out tomorrow (4 pages in today's Independent as well, so certainly high profile)

and too new to be directly relevant for exam. also previous NICE pronouncements have not leadto exam questions. My advice would be forget topic spotting and read generally around big subjects in psychiatry. also learn how to write an essay (giving two sides to an arguement and coming to a conclusion). references are not worth many marks. there is always a question that is vague and you can make up an answer based oin clinical experience and background knowledge. if you limit yourself by topic spotting and learn certain essays you are screwed if they don't come up.

hi,

what are people reading/ referring to-

APT? BJPSych?

and how far are people reading back?

is there any other references we need to do?

APT is fantastic as it does all the hard work for you - up to date reviews on hot topics - what could be better? I did the dual diagnosis one last time (not sure my mark) and the first time (when I failed the clinical) I did the Old Age Psychotherapy one which was straight out of the APT pychotherapy series and got a 16.

I went back 18 months but this is probably just a reflection of my obsessional study methods. 12 months should do it.

Good luck,

Che

Anybody went to the Manhester course? Wondering if you could share with us the title essays came out in the course please....Ta.

Hello!

I guess I can be helpful as I tried the exam twice in the past and never failed the essay (failed CRP first and long case last time, though.. :-[ )

Anyway,

I agree the best way to pass is:

- make sure u have a wide knowledge of basic topics as they are always somehow connected to the question;

- I find APT and Editorials BJP (possibly AJP) quite useful, too.. last year's will do. Don't bother with the last few months as they are too short notice for the Exam's sake

- learn the basic references (e.g Beck 1979 for CBT, Brown and Harris , Ainsworth, Rutter for Child/Adol, Jacoby for Old Age, Taylor/Gunn for Forensic, Goodwin/Gazzaniga for Neurosciences.. ) and forget about the others;

- Complete it! Possibly clear wiriting, with a intro body and conclusions and write alternate lines (u don't want to upset the marker!)

It's not an easy ride, but it's supposed to be passable!

Said that.. good luck!!

::);)

By the way.. Elma is right!!

Please please if you've been to the Manchester course: do us a favour and tell us their predictions as last time they got 2 out of 3 right!

MANCHESTER PEOPLE: HELP!!!

Sorry I'm here again :lol:

I wanted to share with u my personal prediction.. maybe as I'm doing the Forensic job right now, but I rate 'TREATMENT OF PERSONALITY DISORDERS' rather likely as it encompasses issues on Dx, Drug and virtually all the psychological Tx + Social fears and wider risk concerns/ethical issues

;)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0