Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Feedback on Part II Essay paper Autumn 2004

25 posts in this topic

After the written exam, please post your experience of the essay paper. If you can remember the essay questions, please post them. Thanks!

I'm busy putting the entire experience out of my mind but from what I can remember the essays were:

1) ADHD is a controversial diagnosis with respect to treatment etc. Discuss. Also cite evidence for ADHD in adults.

2) It was something about managing risk to others in the community. I just skim read it and decided not to go there.

3) The assessment and presentation of psychopathology in learning disabilities differs from that of general psychiatry. Discuss this and the implications on diagnosis and treatment with respect to schizophrenia and affective disorders.

I did the LD essay, even though I had a model ADHD essay in my bag that I'd been reading this morning. It was the waffly one and although my conclusion was a little abrupt and random, the essay was mostly organised with a lil definition of LD and service setups and how that aids assessment etc. Also threw in terms like normalisation and diagnostic overshadowing so it looked like I knew what i was talking about.

All in all it was a much more positive experience than Spring 2004. Especially the CRP which was a nice cohort study and then ANOTHER meta-analysis including yet ANOTHER 5 point question about funnel plots and how they change with publication bias! :o Gawd, talk about cut and paste.

Exact questions of Part II Essay Paper

Q.1 Why is diagnosis and management of hyperkinetic and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children controversial? What is the evidence that the condition persists into adulthood?

Q.2 What factors need to be considered in the psychiatric assessment of risk of harm to others? Discuss the relative advantages and disadvantages of clinical methods and structured risk assessment instruments in this process

Q.3 Discuss how the assessment and presentation of psychopathology in the field of learning disability diffes from in general pathology. What implications does this have in terms of diagnosis and treatment of schizophrenia and mood disorders?

PREDICTIONS

ADHD was one of our predictions. There had been four articles only very recently in APT on this topic

i did adhd, but was not able to answer half of the question.I was very slow to start with, after the critical appraisal 'shock'.

well it is over now nothing can be changed.

essays were not too bad, as we predicted either LD , ADHD .ESPECIALLY AFTER THE CRP SHOCK!!

MANY PEOPLE I KNOW HAVE DONE THE ADHD ESSAY. I DID THE LD ONE. I AM NOW WORRIED IF I HAVE NOT UNDERSTOOD THE QUESTION (LD).WOULD IT MATTER IF YOU DID AN ESSAY MOST OF THEM DID ? OR IF YOU PICKED THE ONE MOST DID NOT ATTEMPT.

MANY PEOPLE I KNOW HAVE DONE THE ADHD ESSAY. I DID THE LD ONE. I AM NOW WORRIED IF I HAVE NOT UNDERSTOOD THE QUESTION (LD).WOULD IT MATTER IF YOU DID AN ESSAY MOST OF THEM DID ? OR IF YOU PICKED THE ONE MOST DID NOT ATTEMPT.

Hey sheeth76,

What on earth are you on about?   Relax! Have a drink! Chill! .... Or let's go shopping    ;)

Brilliant advice!! I did the ADHD one too.

Had prepared for it so was pretty lucky.

Can anybody tell me what we were expected to write to in L.D. ESSAY .I read the essay topic 6 times while writting the essay .when I :-[r ealished I &nbsp:lol:IDNOT understand what is the issue here implications ,DIAGNOSIS ,TREATMENT,SCHIZO ,MOOD DISORDER it was too late and my essay seemed a mixed vegetable soup.PLEASE HELP what have people written in this essay.

After the written exam, please post your experience of the essay paper. If you can remember the essay questions, please post them. Thanks!

???

Can anyone tell me what evidence there is that ADHD persists into adulthood??

???

Can anyone tell me what evidence there is that ADHD persists into adulthood??

3 cohort studies (Montreal, New York and Swedish) followed subjects from childhood and found relatively low rates of ADHD in adult years compared with childhood and adolescence

Also reference from Faraone et al - 20% of parents of children with ADHD are expected to have ADHD themselves

That's about all I could come up with, managed to flesh it out with some long words and large handwriting.

That's quite impressive, Timtam,

All I had read about this subject was the article by Zwi and York in the APT, Sept. '04 'ADHD in adults: validity unknown.'

They mention that all studies about this topic had very low sample sizes (max. up to 40 in only one trial).

They also said that Cohort studies that started ca 25 years ago may be of lmited validity too, because the diagnostic criteria have changed so many times and are definately different now from what they were 25 years ago.

So I just wrote that there is not much valid evidence for ADHD in adults and more research needs to be done blabla... the usual.

Not so sure anymore if I get away with this..... :-/

There was an article published in Irish Medical News just two days before the exam on this topic by Professor Fitzgerald. Professor of Child Psychiatry at Trinitiy College, Dublin.

In that he clearly stated that there is evidence of ADHD in adults althought not through RCTs but stated that in community 4.4 percent of adults suffer from ADHD who had suffered in childhood, and so was the case of conduct disorder and antisocial perxonality disorder

Still it is controversial but very important due to its long term implications

also articles by Biederman in the USA

re adult adhd not being a new diagnosis but rather a continuation of child adhd and not diagnosed sometimes until the adult brings the child with adhd to clinic !

hi ,

has anyone done the risk assessment essay?i realised i have left out essentials like pathological jealosy,compliance and confidentiality issues.bit late in the day but what the heck there is always another chance!!

Venus - Don't worry - U R not alone!! :P :-/

I did the risk assessment essay too! :-/ :-[

Confidentiality?? - Am I missing something here?? :o :o

adil, i was thinking of post assessment decisions when i wrote 'confidentiality'. while i included sectioning,human rights etc i did not mention consequences of poor communication( c.f. Tarasoff case).

am i way off the mark?

RISK ASSESSMENT

I'm one of the few with that choice, too.

I wouldn't worry too much as it is pretty impossible to cover everything and I guess the most important is that we use an essay-style approach and show to be able to reason critically.

I argued for and against clinical and structured risk assessment and can only hope for the best.. time is always sooo short :P

I don't know u lot but anxiety levels are rising furiously these days!!

well not long to wait now!!!i am tackling my anxiety by expecting the worst. anyway, all the best for the result!!

i did the essay on risk assessment to others and improvements!!

well i did not choose ADHD as it wanted evidence base and i'm crap at that. but development of services was one standard thing that i prepared for and when something similar to that came,i gladly took it on and i have passed the exam so i should have done at;east sufficient to scrape through.now it is clinicals and hopefully things would go OK.

all the best fellas

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0