• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest nfchanjudy

study group?

3 posts in this topic

HI

Happy New Year!

Could anyone give me comments what would be the efficient method to learn in a small study group? Have anyone formed a good study group in the past and shared with us? ??? ???

Thank you.

I just sat part 2 and was in a study group with 3 others, all of us passed the exam and 3 of us then applied for (and were offered) SpR posts.

For all of us it was our first attempt at the exam.

We did a lot of critical appraisal, went through as many past papers as we could find. We also made a list of potential essay topics, keeping it fairly broad in range. Each week we would each pick a different topic and write an essay plan for the group, this made it easier to get through all of the work as we eventually had 20 essay plans I think. 2 of the areas we'd covered came up in the exam (learning disability and ADHD). We also gathered lots of ISQs (mainly from this website), divided them up amongst ourselves and did some reading around the questions so that we not only knew the answers but could explain them to our colleagues.

We met once a week for about 3 months before the written paper.

For the clinical we met more often - 3 or sometimes 4 times a week. We went over as many PMPs as we could, trying to keep to the 10 minute time limit. We didn't really do any long case practice in the study group.

We also went to different revision courses and photocopied the handouts for the others, so that all of us had notes from Manchester, Guildford, Psychacademy, Dublin etc.

The studying definitely helped me to get through the exam but the main benefit for me was having 3 other people who all knew exactly what I was going through. For many months the study group was a significant part of my social life (sad but true!) and we spent at least 30 minutes each time drinking tea, eating biscuits and letting off steam about studying and exams. I don't know if I would have passed the exam without being in a study group, but it certainly kept me going and made the whole painful process a bit less stressful.

tanx timtam and congrats!

is there anyone keen on forming such focused and active group in the east or west kent area? please do contact me if you are interested. there are only sixty odd days to go!the sooner the beta. :lol:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0