• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mark

\'Classic\' must read papers- list

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Is there a list of 'classic' must read papers the seniors would recommend?

I would imagine these could be used in essays and also as part of training for the cirtical apppraisal. :)

Thanks,

Mark

there used to be a drug rep given compilation of important papers,Now i do not rememeber which rep.

it was 2 volumes,classic and modern papers.

these were distributed nearly 3 years back.so i doubt if they are still around.

anyway good luck.i will try to put up the references of those sometime

8) alc dependence edwards, gross BMJ 1976

BULIMIA N RUSSELL PM 44

STATES OF DEPRESSION LEWIS A 1938 BMJ  :-* :-* :-*

DIAGNOSIS OF HYSTERIA SLATER E BMJ 1965

SOCIAL TREATMENT OF SCHIZOPHRENIA WING JOURNAL OF MENTAL SCIENCE 1961

MORBID JEALOUSY SHEPERD 1961

ALL IN A BLUE FOLDER BY WYETH, MOST CONSULTANTS HAVE A COPY  :lol: :lol: RAID THEIR ROOMS

The best journal to study for both essays and MCQs and latest update is

CURRENT OPINION IN PSYCHIATRY - Everyone must read the years of 2003 and 2002.

It summarises the latest developments from journals all over the world and gives in a readable and concise form. So do no miss this journal.

The other journals are

APT

British Journal of Psychiatry (read only the abstract and clinical implications and limitations- they are enough)

Bulletin

Dont bother to read other journals. It would be just waste of time

Hussain

Ireland

8) alc dependence edwards, gross BMJ 1976

BULIMIA N RUSSELL PM 44

STATES OF DEPRESSION LEWIS A 1938 BMJ  :-* :-* :-*

DIAGNOSIS OF HYSTERIA SLATER E BMJ 1965

SOCIAL TREATMENT OF SCHIZOPHRENIA WING JOURNAL OF MENTAL SCIENCE 1961

MORBID JEALOUSY SHEPERD 1961

ALL IN A BLUE FOLDER BY WYETH, MOST CONSULTANTS HAVE A COPY  :lol: :lol: RAID THEIR ROOMS

these are now out of print. rumour has it they may do another run next year though.

BUT some of these 'classic' papers are actually of pretty poor quality e.g. using sub therapeutic doses in drug trials etc. you are much better reading topics in text books and if you want to read original papers get them from the references list at the end of the topic in the book. for more up to date articles, go to a library and read the contents list of the big journals for the last few months(or years) and read the articles that interest you.

oh and remember a 'classic' papers list drawn up by a psychotherapist will look different to that of a childpsychiatrist or someone doing neuroimaging research etc etc

You really don't have time to read classic papers! Most of them are poorly written and hard work. Now that we can all apply critical appraisal skills, you'll probably end up disillusioned! Good idea for journal clubs, though, where you do have time to discuss the merits of each work.

Much better is to stick to your familiar textbooks and read review papers (Advances in Psychiatric Treatment is my favourite) which summarise research findings. This is an active process - the more you read, the more familiar you'll become with the important research. Don't just read a list of key names and papers - you need to read about them in context to really understand their significance and remember them!

I do like Puri and Halls' Revision Notes in Psychiatry. Each chapter starts with a history of the clinical condition which really puts things into perspective. They also summarise important papers in a few sentences each.

I agree with Webmaster ,

the only papers I read were published at most 12 months prior to the exam .  Unless you are going for the Laughlin prize , your knowledge should be basic and you are not expected to quote references in order to pass .

We all want to pass ,right ?   :lol:

keep it simple

keep it basic

keep it current

In keeping with the theme, know a few seems to be the score. If you know them well you can always manipulate to include them as long as they are broad.

One of the best ways to conceptulise the structure of an essay would be to keep an eye on the rapid response section of the bmj which sometimes brings out two sides of the argument in a comprehensible way,rest depends on U'r presentation skills

I would not necessarily agree with the webmaster on that,the compilation of modern classsic papers by neurolink has a good collection published in late 90's which are methodologically quite appropriate,they also are fertile source of material for U'r own essay prepn

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0