Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Online Essay Club No.40: Atypicals

4 posts in this topic

The last essay for this year...

The advent of atypical antipsychotic medications means that resources for mental health wards should now be diverted into expanding care in the community. Discuss.

brief essay plan (please criticize as much as possible)

period between 1999-2000 the advent of atypicals

clozapine the first of atpicals- cost effectiveness (few studies on it)

cheapest amongst the atypicals-resperidone and most expensive clozapine

No of inpatients have reduced since early 1980s

but not due to atpicals but due to changes in mental health legislation (bullshitting now) and change in attitude towards institutionalization and asylum

Care in community- advantages of reducing hospitilization cost and 'Normalization' concept

Efficacy of typicals is sort of similar to atypical

Are majority of beds occupied by neurotics or psychotics

atypicals means psychotics in the community but what about other patients

Has atypicals actually reduced admission rates or is it just a change in attitude of psychiatrists

community care concept should be seen not just in the light of atypicals it would be lot of other issues as well

The main issue would be how to generally cut down cost by reducing hospitalization whether typicals or atyicals

wow! i dont know any thing more and my mind is blank!

the cost of atypicals means there is less money available for community services?

do atypicals mean improved side effects, more ability to live in community, or do they just have a different side effect profile?

Thanks Webmaster, you are the master!

The advent of atypical antipsychotic medications means that resources for mental health wards should now be diverted into expanding care in the community. Discuss.

Madly need to find a related article. Can anyone please help?

Is Clozapine not better initiated as in-patient in view of serious adverse effects while changing the dose?

I don't know, but I know that it can be initiated in the community. Does anyone have any figures?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0