Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest nadim

advice

9 posts in this topic

congrats for everyone who passed the part 2 written exam.

i have not passed, and failed the MCQs for the second time,

those who passed is there any tips ?

can you advise?

hey,

please take a break and give yourself time to relax. i really wondered what i can do better as i lost narrowly in the MCQs last time. you have to go your regular work and get lucky!

you will get there ;)

will help you with whatever if/after i pass clinicals.

yes, do take a good break and forget about the exam. I found the way that helped me with mcq's was to use old mcq's and go through them one by one and researching each answer. It took ages but helped it stick. Then i went through the answers with a friend who was also taking the exam and doesn't freak me out. I also found the Manchester course EXTREMELY helpful.

read lots of psychology and sociology

and take several spoonfuls of luck..that helped me most of all!

Start with the important bit.SHOPPING!

1) buy lots of files..pink and sparkly is good!.. and pens and highlighters and filing cards.

2) subscribe to yellow journal and APT

3) Decide which courses you will go on (Manchester is fab)

4)Choose one night a week when you will never study or feel guilty

5) Start on a subject you like and don't overdo it early.

6) Reward yourself when it is going well and give yourself a break when it isn't

7) Gradually crank up the pace and make sure you give enough attention to Critical appraisal

8)this advice is for those without children..if you are trying to do this with a family, I take my hat of to you.

9)Some of the best people I know (academically and clinically) did not pass first time. I know everyone says this but it is true

Also..keep a sense of humour (hardest bit of all!) ..this exam is crap (not that I'm not loving every moment of the countdwn to the Clinicals!)

there is no advice possible. there is no way to revise for the mcqs they are just too random. i did no work and expected to fail but i didn't ??? - i am pleased but it does not help me have faith in the exam system. i think that the mcq section of the paper is totally down to luck.....

:-/

Regarding MCQs - I would also agree that a large proportion of them are wildly random and you would never have known the answers even if you'd read the entire library - several times.

HOWEVER, I found it useful simply to do millions of questions, and every time I came across a fact I didn't know, I'd just write it down. Then every so often I'd read through all these facts, and they seem to stick....Not ideal in terms of thorough understanding of a subject, I know, but effective for MCQs.

Don't be sad - this exam is not based in reality and is not (in my opinion) an effective discriminator. If at first (or second, or third!!) you don't succeed......

nothing more than what others have said really. try to work previous papers that really helped.