Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest imranwaheed

length of essays

28 posts in this topic

would appreciate any advice from others on the length of essays - obviously I know that this isn't the objective, but some kind of idea about this would be useful.

Also, do most people write with double line spacing so that the essay can be more easily read (and looks longer!)?

any advice would be appreciated

I did attended the Cambridge Essay Day on 6 march and the masterclass course they both adviced that the length do not matter.But not one page,perhaps 5 to 6 pages.

Good structure and integration of knowledge and a balanced essay are the key.Double line Spacing is good for clearity.

this could be a really stupid question but I'm still going to ask:

does it matter whether we use black or blue ink?

Mark

Mark

Mark

i am going to use black

i am going to use black

i am going to use black

[i am not suffering from perseveration - just answering each of your questions]

don't know if ink colour matters - I guess they may photocopy the scripts to give to 2 examiners in which case black would probably be better

hi

i will be using black as well but none of those fancy colored sketch pens or highlighters.

my pc is perseverating...or you're suffering from palinopsia :)

thanks Imran anyway

Mark

i may use red pen for subheadings of the essay

will also probably use highlighter while going through the papers for critical appraisal paper to mark out important bits

Black ink photocopies better- copies will be made for examiners

5-6 pages is standard-ish but if it is illegible you will get no marks anyway. make it easy for the examiners to mark, it is boring marking essays. Anything that makes your essay more legible eg double spacing is a good idea.

it doesnot matter the important is the integration and the good stracture of the subject[tr][/tr] :lol:

may be this will help people going to take exams in future! when i attended lecture on essay writing in Leeds Uni, what was said was-

No specific length for every essay- each one is individual

write essays on one side of paper only & number each page

black ink is preferable

try and be descriptive- Diagrams Flow charts are useful

Tables- ie Advantages Vs disadvantages look good

good structure is very inportant an intoduction, body and conclusion necessary

any evidence base report is great, give reference if you can,

argue for and against the topic showing you can be neutral in your view

there we are-some tips for essays.if i left out anything please add em in friends

I think there is little to add to your suggestions.Thinking about the structure of your essay is crucial and starting with a flow diagram type plan in the first page sets the scene.

hey vo!

i think i have mentioned those two clearly in my previous message mate!!

cheers

Paranth,I don't think there is any harm re-emphasizing important info as I said earlier, there was little to add to the topic.

no no,i didn't mean it that way mate, i thought you missed reading them in my post thats all.yes,i agree re-emphasis always is good.

and anyone interested in these,also check out some more points about essays written on another topic started as- part2 overall which is located in part2 ISQ/EMI club

I did attend the Cambridge Essay Day on 6 march and the Masterclass course - they both advised that the length does not matter. But not one page,perhaps  5 to 6 pages.

So - Size does not matter after all!! :-X :P :-X

yes yes,essay should atleast be 5 or 6 pages isn't it?or else it may look like a short answer if its just one page. what was meant is you don't have to write 10 pages for it to be an essay!!

with people's style of writing the lenght and content varies so its very individual anyway.practice will make it perfect!!

i really dont think u need lack a night,s sleep becos your essay is not 5-6 pages. if you deliver your answer with all the facts presented in an integrative manner in 3-4pages you are likely to get by except the overall outcome to me is not dependent on your intelligence or eloquence on paper : :-X

funky,

you are right too,everyone has their own mindset about everything and depending on how bright people are, things are different i suppose.

some one not as bright as me, but gettin through the part2 first time is because of lot of advice from people who have done the exams and definitley luck!! so for the rest of people who may not be as bright as you,i would still say stick to atleast 5-6 pages to give a decent essay.

just another beginner kind of question :-/

what are the 'gold standard references' if there are any?

i got a practical problem.

my senior collegues and spr advised me to have a framework for essays

but its difficult to have the same framework for all the essays. for example in early intervention of psychosis do we still need to state

historical facts,

defination

epidemilogy

management of psychosis.

because there is alredy quite a bit of information about early intervention itself.

if i keep writing all the above mentioned [if i remember]

my essay is going to be too long. my last 2 essays i wrote went up to more than10 pages.

what u do guys have to say about this?

i think there is nothing such as gold standard, as all the papers have their strengths and weaknesses.

so as long as u give a refernce evrything is gold standard.

what is gold standard for us preparing for the examz is that article which gives all the information required. so that we dont have to worry about gathering information from different articles and textbooks

Double spacing might not the be the best option for everyone. ie if you write in the smallest size , then use appropriate spacing rather than double spacing per se.

Does anyone know, if the exam sheets are blank or ruled?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0