Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ROY_ABRAHAM

DOCTORS OFFICE SPACE

5 posts in this topic

I would like to hear if anyone has the experience of not having an office space to sit and do your paperwork and having to fight for it when preparing to sit an exam.

Yeap, that happened in our rotation too.

Speak to the SHO Rep. and the College Tutor to support you.

I happened to be the SHO Rep. at that time and had to deal with it myself, :P so I contacted the Royal College and they sent me the 'booklet' about the required standards in SHO- training. It states clearly in there that you do have to have an appropriate office space where you can do your letters, see patients etc. .... Unfortunately I cannot find the document at the moment.

Try to find out when the next inspection by the RCP representatives is planned.

Write an official letter of complaint to your College Tutor, cc it to your consultant, the clinical director, the manager of your department and much more important :write cc Royal College of Psychiatrists. (but you don't really have to do it for the time being).

When I did this I was almost surprised how quickly we had our office back ;) (which they wanted to give to the new SW who was supposed to start in a few days, and the 2 SHO's were told to check all offices on daily bases and use a desk that happens to be free... I couldn't believe it!! :o )

thats very true.

i am the SHo rep for our rotation and just that extra word to find out when the next RC visit is and to get the guidelines about the office space is helpful

i discussed it with our line manager and she is very helpful.things got done very fast.it is their duty to provide a space for you to work,not necessarily study for your exams which is designated to be your library but if your library facilities do not permit you to sit and read,then you can ask for this as well.

first have a chat with your line manager and then speak with local BMA for some advise.it will happen.

cheers

Thank you for the suggestions. actually our current situation is we managed to get a space but keeping the other members of the staff of it in a polite way is the problem.we do have a sign on the door.

can anyone imagine what the consequences would be if junior doctors used an alloted area for nurses or social workers or psychologists or O.Ts.

Roy!

Only other faculties are allowed to take advanatage of our spaces and not us of their spaces!! so we can not even imagine a situation like that!! well,i'm being cynical here!! we have the same problem in our trust but the managers seem to be sympathetic to nursing staff than to junior doctors- well we can understand that too can't we?? we will be there for 2 may be 3 years and nursing staff will be there much longer isn't it?

so can we win this battle?may be not!!Good luck anyway