Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Feedback on Part 2 Essay paper Spring 2005

42 posts in this topic

After the written exam, please post your experience of the essay paper. If you can remember the essay questions, please post them. Thanks!

The first question was &nbsp:lol:epression occurs in schizophrenia. Discuss the aetiology, epidemiology, phenomenologyand treatment of this depression.

The second and third went something like

Work related illness, the second biggest cause of X. Critically review factors leading to it.!!!

multiple somatoform dx is seen in all the medical specialities. Discuss the arguments for and against a unitary dx.

Sorry can'y remember very well !!

2nd question

'Work related stress is the second largest occupational health problem in the uk.' Discuss critically the factors which may lead to this.

Q1. &quot:lol:epression can occur in Schizophrenia'. Discuss the epidemiology,aetiology,phenomenology and treatment of depression in schizophrenia.

waffle waffle waffle.....that's what I did. :(

so much for essay spotting.

I must say I'm a bit stunned by these questions.I've not been reading journals a lot lately so I'm not sure if I would have picked up any hints.Whichever way they still sound tough.I wonder what others think.

3rd question was

there are as many medically assosiated syndromes as there are medical specialities. discuss critically the statement arguing for and against a unitary syndrome?

Yup seeing the essays felt like there had been no point reading specific or 'important' topics. After the initial shock i got down to doing the somatic syndrome question. I learnt later that there had been an editorial in June 2004 BJPsych on a simillar issue.

Seems like if u wanna spot a question it would be useful to read the last decade's worth of APT, BJP and BMJ!!!

wasnt question 3 more like....

There are as many functional somatic syndromes as there are medical specialities. Discuss this statement with refrence to argument for and against the comcept of a 'unitary somatic syndrome'

I do not recall the word 'critically' and did not argue critically (ie with refrences) rather gave arguments for and against....so i hope i read the question right.

The first essay question about depression and schizophrenia is well discussed in an APT review article - I think in the year 2000! It was really lucky that we had read it and done an essay on it in our group!! Lucky escape!

Phew!!!!

I don't see why someone who had the good luck of reviewing a similar essay as the one in the exam shouldn't rejoice about it.

;)Now now ladies....there is no need for cat fight. Well if you girls really want to; go ahead anyway, i love to watch.

Its all done now, we all need to look forward and think positive, afterall we are psychiatrists in the making :P 8).

Prepare positively for the clinical and at the same time pray or do what ever you believe in in the hope that everything will turn out ok in the end ;)

Good luck to all who have prepared well and alos to those that have not prepared that well :P

hi,

it was not an easy task doing the essay..........made me wonder ...........what the hell have i been reading all these months...........

i did number one.....was clueless about the rest

attempted Q 2, re work related stress. found an article in my file of important papers which i hoard but never read. 'the causal links betweenstress & burnout in a longitudinal study of UK doctors' Lancet JUNE 2002.

absolutely nothing like the essay i wrote. i wonder why i bother to copy these. feeling completely shitty. :'(

??? ??? ???

Know how you feel.

I too did the stress related to work essay and it was a load of rubbish. Since going back to work i keep seeing all these leaflets and posters etc about it every where. Im sure they wern't there before and some sick person has put them up since the exam (or maybe i was totally blind to them before-most likely explanation me thinks!). Just thinking back to the essays makes me feel sick, i have no idea why i chose that essay because i actually knew quite a bit on the first one. Feel i have totally let myself down as i worked hard for the exams and i keep thinking what was it all for as the essay i wrote was like something from from an A level general studies paper but much much worse.

people keep telling me i may have passed but just cant see it happening with the essay i wrote and am on a bit of a downer.

Oh well there are worse things that could happen i should just enjoy not having to revise. Saying that coming back to do all the stuff i put off because of the exam- on calls, audits, case presentations etc etc, is indeed causing me to suffer from work related stress!

Hope others are feeling better than me.

hi, first time writing part 2, i was glad that its a passable exams even though i did awfully bad. I believe i will pass it next time inshaallah.

The exams test more of ur time mgt skills as well as knowledge which i lack.

RIGHT! Pay attention, I have a theory I'd like to test.

Does ANYONE know of anybody who managed to have an appropriate essay plan in place (spotted or otherwise) except for mr numnuts on page 1?

Because I fervently believe that doing ANY work for the essay is pointless as you stand a 0.001% chance of reading something useful and even less of a chance remembering it if you did.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I did NO work for the essay. Not one single thing. And if I pass I shall be announcing it in this forum. And advising everyone else not to bother. The cost benefit ratio for essay preparation is just too high!

Sorry Docmartin, I have to disagree about working for the essay. Even though the topics were not able to be picked, the wider you had read the easier passing would have been. The whole point of the essay question is to get you to read widely and obviously essay 'spotting' is actively discouraged. The college states that they do not just want a regugitation of the facts, so just rote learning some names of studies to reel off won't help. Reading a variety of journals and having a deeper understanding of the issues relating to psychiatry will. I personally did the 2nd essay very badly but did appreciate the way the questions had been set.

Not only that, but a lot of revision for the essay paper should not only cover the background information for possible essays but also how to write an essay in the first place.

A lot of people won't have written an essay since they were 16 at school and it doesn't come easily to many. It takes quite a bit of practice to write a convincing structured essay with good use of references, an ordered plan, developed paragraphs, legible handwriting and good spelling.

If I had to take the paper (again) I'd certainly concentrate more on these things than on pointless question spotting.

The nihilistic approach of 'I don't know what's going to come up so I'm going to do nothing' is crazy - how many people go into this exam thinking 'I'm not going to do any practice ISQs as they're all different' or 'So many papers have been written it's not worth revising for the critical appraisal'. Crazy.

Still, all the best ! ::)

come on essay number 2 wasn't all that bad

everyone knows that Freudenberger coined the term 'staff burnout' and using a biopsychosocial framework for aetiological factors tees you up nicely to quote Cherniss and his 'stress management techniques.'

bunch of whingers..... :lol:

I cant understand how can anyone sound so confident! I shall be definitely looking for your name on the pass list!

It is extremely easy to be confident. It is either you know it or you do not.There is little room for maybe.Thats what makes the distinction candidates.

No.Certainly not.But that does not make me question others.

Is there anyone who could give me some idea of what we were expected to include for essay no.1 ? I'm afraid that i've probably left out something really important.

I certainly had not prepared any of the essays, and couldn't even have attempted the other two. For no. 1, I just waffled and even now i don't know whether i was on the right track at all.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0