Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris

Essay paper revision

12 posts in this topic

I've heard quite a few people say that it's not really possible to revise for the Essay paper for the Part II exam - presumably because the questions are so unpredictable and could cover such a wide discipline.

What do you think ?

Revise or concentrate on other things ??

:o if your first language is not English,it is imperative to write full lenght essays,

I would:'( develop arguments for and against, check handwriting, do atleast 20 essay plans on different topics such as service development, validity of diagnosis, treatment of various conditions, scan editorials for style rather than content.

Number 6 ,you are not a  ??? ::)number

Can anyone suggest a good resource (text or journal article) to read for validity of diagnosis generally and for various syndromes...eg. ADHD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, PTSD etc.

Thanks in advance

Hmmm, I haven't checked but the text bits of DSM-IV might not be a bad place to start.

Check out the BMJ for a (slightly older) paper on validity of PTSD (you'll have to search for it !)

And the Lancet had a recent review of ADHD that included a discussion of validity of diagnosis (in the last 2-3 weeks or so)

Hi SJ,

I once (ancient history) did a seminar on classification in psychiatry.... though i dont have it now i have some idea of where i looked.

Most textbooks have a chapter on psychiatric classification so i suggest you start there. Kaplan and Sadocks (comprehensive textbook of psychiatry) chapter is really good. It will give you a general idea of the types of psychiatric classification and how it broadly differs from other fields. I agree with number 6 the text versions of DSM-IV TR and ICD-10 (CDDG-blue book) are good places but you need to refine your reading according to your needs. Classification is a fascinating topic and one can get totally immersed in it if one is not careful! One useful way is to read the same syndrome from both ICD and DSM and then one can better appreciate the differences.There are in addition articles which may be of interest -

1. Classification in psychiatry: ICD-10 versus DSM-IV

G Andrews, T Slade, L Peters - Br J Psychiatry, 1999 Dec;175:587-8.

2.  Use of the ICD-10 Classification in Psychiatry: An International Survey. Psychopathology Vol. 33, No. 2, 2000  

3. Subthreshold disorders in psychiatry: clinical reality, methodological artifact, and the double-threshold problem. Compr Psychiatry. 2000 Mar-Apr;41(2 Suppl 1):1-7.

4. Classification and categorization in child psychiatry. Rutter M, J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1965 Nov;6(2):71-

These will give you a good idea of what psychiatric classification is about and where its going now. For some of the syndromes youve mentioned you may need to read a core psychiatric textbook (sp CFS) as it may not be well described in classification.

and finally if really into it then...  

Psychiatric Diagnosis and Classification (Wiley Interscience)

Published Online: 24 Apr 2002

Editor(s): Mario Maj, Wolfgang Gaebel, Juan José López-Ibor, Norman Sartorius

Print ISBN: 0471496812    Online ISBN: 047084647X

Hope this helps

All the best

Ah, well if we're getting serious then we should also consider the recent books published by Oxford University Press in the International Perspectives in Philosophy and Psychiatry series including particularly :

Values and Psychiatric Diagnosis by John Sadler

and a forthcoming textbook:

Oxford Textbook of Philosophy of Psychiatry , ed by Bill Fulford including chapters on diagnosis and classifications.

(not out yet though so a bit hard to give an opinion about it !)

Also (just 'cos I was interested):

I'm afraid the reference in blah_blah's posting to the Andrews, Slade and Peters paper in the BJPsych isn't correct (that reference is to a letter responding to the paper).

The correct reference is:

Andrews G, Slade T, Peters L (1999), Classification in psychiatry: ICD-10 versus DSM-IV, Br J Psychiatry 174: 3-5

Unfortunately not available on-line so it's a trip to the library :P

What can I say?!

Thank you guys.  I was just curious as to whether there were specific criteria that a condition would need to satisfy before being classifiable as a disctinct disorder in either of the main systems.  You guys have given a lot of references - thank you very much.

Morris Zwi and Ann York

Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults: validity unknown

Advan. Psychiatr. Treat., Jul 2004; 10: 248 - 256,

if u want i can e- mail the whole article to u

not only can you learn topics but you can learn to write an essay on anything , in a scientific manner and under exam conditions .

Ok, the poll was really a rhetorical device - perhaps a form of Socratic questioning - to get people going.

(Though I have met a few people who really seem to believe that it is impossible to revise for the Essay paper - a prediction that becomes self-fulfilling as they then struggle through)

well, no substitute for hard work,

u got to keep trying until the end ,

i whateva u do in da final days is called revision

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0