• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest grace

Essay predictions authum 2005.

33 posts in this topic

Well guys, does anyone have any idea what the topical issues are? Any guesses as to what might be comming up?

(I am not even sure if there is any piont to the whole excersise judging from what happened in the last exams.)

But i guess it keeps us all in the spirit.

Okay, i'ill start:

There is the much talked about personality disorder with particular refrence to antisocial and boderline.

Then again there was the issue of service provision,in any sub specialty, or target population.

Any more thoughts?

Physical health in mentally ill

Importance of carers involvement in care of mentally ill

Thanks josie96.

Those ones seem to be particularly overdue. Remember there was so much talk of them in last two exams.

I think even the manchester papers has something on physical health.

How about early intervention psychosis- quite a hot topic

And also post natal depression- recent editorial in bjpsych- march or april this year

i guess-- importance of user and carer involvement,

early intervention in psychosis

some topic from LD

PTSD and disaster

community care.

i think its enough for today

carers

bipolar depression

post partum psychosis or depression

apt has been full on articles on pd

old age topic is overdue(day hospitals or psychotherapy)

assessment of sexual offenders (tools used)

expect the royal college googly!(i am doing one on baboons as well) ;)

hi all,

My guess would be

1.suicide

2.BPAD management

3.PTSD

4.care for carers

Thanks all, lets keep them comming !!.

I do not think there will be something on psychotherapies in the elderly as this only came in authum 2003, surely it is too soon to repeat it?

I was thinking of specific pharmacological interventions,

-lithium,

-clozapine

-ECT

Anymore thoughts?

Would agree that -

a. Disaster Mental Health is an issue

b. Physical health in the population we treat is overdue

c. Carer support + user involvement could be one

But going by the trends, Grace, would you think we will get very specific questions? I don't think so, it will be a debatable point that has been the source of controversy that they give us as topics.

Yes , goo94, you 're absolutely right.

But even with the pharmarcological interventions i listed above, i was thinking more in respect to justifying thier use.

Take for example ECT and all the bad publicity, with the new update on the NICE guidelines.

It is hard to tell, but i guess the general idea is to use pieces of information from everywhere.

And so i guess the more you prepare( within reason) the more ready one is.

1 service for black and ethnic minority groups.

very topical ,specially when bhurga is da dean of da college [he,s done lot of work]

2 early intervention in schizophrenia

3 BPD

4 sumthing in relation to PTSD n disaters [ very hottt topic]

heyy can sumone tell me, where to get hold of

'key' refernces like

ECA studies

cumberville study

isle white white study

nimh study  etc etc n if u know any more??

one more question

can sumone tell me sumthing about disease concept,

thanx!!!

too much here on essay predictions :-[

a general knowledge of most things and the ability to write a logical argument is a better approach in my book!

i would entirely agree with michael.

have essay plans and not essays.you will find it harder to read a lot of essays.but, if you have essay maps and mindplans, common references, even if you stumble across a difficult essay you will find it easy to write an essay on that topic than hoping you get one that you have prepared very well for.

do prepare for some of the favourite essays very well but also have these standard essay maps. you never know!!

I would agree with micheal and Paranth.

However,in addition to general plans, the general idea is also to familarize one's self  with ''topical issues''which at any one time is not  that much.

You have nothing to loose, and would only be at a disadvantaged position if you fail to do so.

michaelshamrock is on the ball,.

writing essays with extensive essay plans adds hugely to revision in the mrcpsych part2. this time could be better allocated I feel,.

since the essay isnt peer referenced while the mcq and crit app are.

a reasonable knowledge and awareness of what has been happening in psych over the past 18 months and the ability to assimilate the information and express it simply, logically and with some thought is the key to success.

i got 12 for my last essay with little information given to the examiners (cos I didnt have much to play with!!)

does anyone know what this years guildford essays were?

michaelshamrock is on the ball,.

writing essays with extensive essay plans adds hugely to revision in the mrcpsych part2. this time could be better allocated I feel,.

since the essay isnt peer referenced while the mcq and crit app are.

a reasonable knowledge and awareness of what has been happening in psych over the past 18 months and the ability to assimilate the information and express it simply, logically and with some thought is the key to success.

i got 12 for my last essay with little information given to the examiners (cos I didnt have much to play with!!)

Thanks  Dutchie,

But i  guess it is important to realise that even though the essay papers are not peer refrenced, they are the only ones you need an 8 in to pass. An 8 in either of the other two with a 6 will see you through.You must not get 6 in essays.

Revising with topical issues only helps to broaden your knowledge and put you on top of the game. If you are to practice essay writting why not with the so called topical issues?

Back to the meat of the matter,

Does anyone know what the essays were in the guildford and manchester,and perharps the NB courses?

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

(surely we have all benefited from this section since it started!!)

birmingaham

cannabis and psychosis

ethnic minority services

stepped care model in anxiety

manchester

de r all da same

new ones r

obesity ,modern endemic? [or epidemic]

bipolar and schizophrenia are they da same entity? [ do v need to modify classification systems]

and i m struggling to tease out specific etiological factors for bipolar coz everywhere de give in conjuction wid depression

can sumone has insight ,if they ask etiology only for bipolar what shd b there??

please help

Thanks drphalaksh,

You are right, the aetiological theories for affective disorder are same/similar.

( genetics,biochemical hypotheses,organic causes,psycological theories,sociological,life events,etc).

However, bipolar patients are more likely to have earlier and more acute onset,and tend to have diffrent pattern of familial  inheritance.Bipolar illness appears more familial.

In addition, there are other diff. which include, sex ratio distribution, sucide rates, prognosis and outcome, and of course treatment options.

Hope this helps.

Now then, who has been to Guildford /NB ?

Come on guys, surely one of you have been to any of the guildford courses this year, or NB?

Be kind.

Hi everyone!

Hope revision is going well.....

thought i'd post a few hot topics rather than predictions:

1. for ethnic minorities, eating disorders, puerperal mental disorders, trauma related ie ptsd etc. etc. etc. Manchester notes very good foundation for this.

2. A lot of very good articles on treatment options for PD in APT over last few months. Incorporate new DSPD units, 'new MH act', etc.

3. ....metabolic syndrome...prevention, management

4. The usual mantra of , only know the new addition of clozapine resistance (APT)

5. What about HIV and psychiatry (see BJP editorial)

Let me know what you think! XX ;)

the list is endless.......................................................................................

I THINK U GUYS WORRY TOO MUCH,

#

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0