Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest seven

Exam Tension

13 posts in this topic

Dear successful candidates from the past,

We have 15 days for the part II exam; what is the best way to organise revision now, to PASS the exam.

please share your experience and advice us

Thanks

Seven

Sorry to say but this is a little late to start anything new. In the last 2 weeks prior to written, I was mainly going over all the material I accumulated.

I remember reading 'Making Sense of Critical Appraisal' cover to cover and not really getting it. Decided not to panic and to try it again another day. On the 3rd attempt, suddenly have a 'eureka' moment and suddenly, it all actually made sense. Have to admit... it has left me now.

Otherwise, was going through all the material I obtained from the Superego Cafe Course as well as going through the MCQs from the Manchester Course. As a break between them, I read my essay plans. These are the easiest since they are plans instead of real hard facts thus more relaxing (when compared to studying the other components of course).

Also played computer games (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Half Life 2 and FM2005) for at least 1 hour a day to destress. Exercise also helps to destress.

Everyone has their own routine. Mine... I went down to London the day before the written and checked into a nice hotel. Had a lovely long walk in a nearby park and had a nice dinner with a glass of Rioja. Watched TV before sleeping for tomorrow. I do this as I know I will not retain anymore infomation if I picked up any of my materials and it is more important to feel relaxed (or as relaxed as I ever will be) for the next day. The nice hotel surrounding helps with that actually - well worth the extra expenditure. A good breakfast (filling but don't overeat) also helps. You do not want to be distracted by your stomach.

Good Luck to all sitting!

thank you SH, i am sure your advice will help. what about CRP, did you incorporate this?

did you write essays and practice?

please advice

Thank you

Seven

I practiced a few CR papers just to get a feel of it but I believe this is one area you need to understand the application of the information. Thus the 'eureka' moment when it finally happened. Once you understand the principles, you should be able to answer most of the questions. Don't get too hanged up about it. Remember, it is only 1 part of the exam and the way it is scored is spread all over the paper. Looked at the max marks per question and answer accordingly. I did not answer many questions but most of them were only worth 1 mark each whilst I made sure the heavy marks section I fill to the brim.

Essays... I practiced a few, mainly just to get used to the time it took. It has been a while since I wrote an essay and thought it was good to practice time keeping just to get an idea. Essay topics in the MRCPsych Part II is like a box of chocolates... you'll never know what you'll get inside (just to quote 'badly' Forest Grump) and Essay topics spotting is not very useful. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, write essay plans instead of essays. That way, you could modify your essays in many circumstances. Useful to know a few full essays but the chances of them coming out depends on your luck. I have to admit I was lucky with the Spring exams; I had an essay plan on treatment resistant depression and we had a question on Depression in Schizophrenia. Just modified my essay plan to fit the question.

Thank you very much SH, it is a very useful piece of advice

I will try and follow some of these valuable advice.

Thank you

Seven

my god 3 days to go , and i m soo scared,[sounds stupid though from a grown up man and a psychiatrists]

i hav done all the right things so far but still the 'fear ' of going through all this again AAAH, cant imagine.

yorkes dodson curve not rightly balanced at the moment ,

is it only me??

Just wanted to say best of luck folks!

Tomorrow is going to be a long day, so I guess sleep is needed tonight, along with caffiene/nicotine breaks between the exam...

Someone suggested Red Bull...

Pens, pencils, calculators (got the cheap Sainsbury one, thanks), hall ticket, my brain.

I've been told to plan each paper mentally once and that helps, so intend to do that today

Best of luck

Goob

Dear Goob,

is the mental imaging a relaxation exam technique?

i am sure that is a very good covert desensitisation technique

Thankyou for the advice

Seven

Dear Seven,

I think everyone realises how broad the expanse of psychiatry is, so, I guess the chances of whether one passes or fails depend on technique...

So I definitely think that planning how one will approach your essay - 20 min of planning, then write; crit. app. - part A or part B, and when will one stop, MCQs - ISQs or EMIs first

- all will definitely maximise your yield in terms of marks...

And I think investing in some time ot have a strategy is good.

A good friend of mine who is doing the exam sees it as a battle; and you need a good strategy to maximise your chances of victory!

So, planning is good... and BANZAI!!!

Goodluck to everybody tommorrow :)

Thank you Goob,

I do see it as a battle myself.

I am sure about certain strategies.-

EBM :- B first and then attempt A and leave B at the mark of the 25 minute

But cant really conclude about whether to do EMI or ISQ first.

Possibly EMI first?!

Essays. - planning for 10 minutes. But i may adhere to the 20 minute stategy (like you ). I sometimes rush and dont think of the whole question.

Possiblly recognising the question, plan and attack the essay should be my aim.

Thank you Goob

Best of Luck

Seven

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0