Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest acarbonnier

Essay skeleton

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been reading through the Essays thread but cannot find a general skeleton for essays: something to give us a frame for any topic, not psecific to one question only ( a bit like : intro- epidemiology-clinical-risk- management- cost etc)

anyone designed one or come across one or is it completely impossible?

thanks

One is called the Body Plan I think and it's the one I used for the exams.

Essentially you draw a rectangle and using arrows you write various themes you need to explore during the essay , starting with the introduction , then the body, then the conclusion.

Reading the question very carefully at the beginning is very important.If there is no mention of 'quoting relevant research findings' then don't.

For all essays you have to have introduction, body and conclusion.

There are at least 2 different type of questions....I think.

One is where there is a statement & you are asked to critically comment on that. Other just discussion on a topic.

For critical comments, you have to take a stance in the introduction and tell this is what you are going to tell. Then in the body you argue both sides and say this is why you favour that arguement. Then in conclusion you say this is what I said.

For discussions also you can follow same line.

Again there are different formats which you can apply for different topics. For eg:- sometimes asking what, when, why, where, how questions will give you a good body.

Another way is by dividing into pre- factors, peri-factors and post-factors ( like predisposing, precipitating, perpetuating and protecting factors).

I prepared different types of essay plans using different formats. During my revision I had prepared one essay on carers and in exam I used the same format to write essay on compliance.

So for me it worked.

hi,

some seniors advised me to wrte a small section on ' definitions' after introduction. e.g. in an essay on compliance in chronic schiz. one would put short working definitions of schiz, chronic, treatment resistance, compliance,etc.

this gives a kind of meaning to your words in essay and makes an impression of research paper.

also comes in handy to write references.

some also advised dividing main body of the essay as- ' one side of argument' and then 'the other side' this helps to present arguments from either side and gives an impression that you can put a proper argument in place.

-bhooshan

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0