Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
amygdala1

MRCPsych and mental illness

9 posts in this topic

I am interested in looking at the impact of MRCPsych on mental health- on both exacerbation of pre-existing problems and de novo illness.

Has anyone had any such experiences?

Please respond here or to my email- any replies would be treated in confidence - I am just trying to find out whether this is an area worth looking at. I think it would be a great irony if our own College exam increased mental illness.

Ha ha ha!!!

:lol:

Mental illness or not we all get a twist in our brains at the end!!

ha ha ha!!

hi

I am not sure about the incidence /relapse of mental illness but I am sure college makes us experience all the possible symptoms mentioned in ICD10 atleast for brief periods during EXAMS :lol:

they should create a new category

RCPsych 100:

mental and behavioural disorders, induced at the College's discretion on a 1 to 3 variable ratio

from

100.00 Thursday blues

to

100.99 OCD, obsessional thoughts/images of royal college examiners sitting in OSCE cubicles with a big smile on their face

I keep having flashbacks and nightmares of my last pmp exam and find it difficult to remember some aspects of the interview so I guess I do meet the criteria for PTSD!

well, i think defiitely anxiety is increased and couple of my friends who failed the OSCE were talking of having flashbacks of a difficult patient and lack of sleep and enjoyment!! criteria for PTSD??

i have had anxiety symptoms but are these longstanding enough to qualify as increasing menatl illness i don't know but thats a great research project you can do and when your name is published,i would think'very clever girl' so cheers!!

Dear Amygdala

what you propose is definitely worth exploring.Everybody says these exams are not about finding who can be agood psychiatrist or not.some say this is about finding who can become a consultant or not.If I knew what it is about ,it will help me build my confidence back and keep all anxiety symptoms at bay.

I passed part 1 written 3 times and have just done OSCE 3rd time.I am really hoping for the best and honestly dont know what effect it will have on me if i dont

I think mental illness/PD is overrepresented in psychiatrists anyways...its not just a cliche that other professions regard the 'shrink' at odd...i know of a colleague locally who is looking at psychiatric morbidity in psychiatrists of all grades....Where would you and me go if we were unwell? This is the million dollar question! Our knowledge makes us dangerously insightful...would we masquerade our symptoms rather than risk our careers? Would we be able to face the stigma that we see our patients assuaged by everyday? I dont know the answers...i know that many overseas doctors have experienced the anxiety/depressive syndrome, when they struggled with plab and its aftermath-the job hunt, social and cultural assimilation, not to mention lack of job satisfaction when they changed to psychiatry out of sheer monetary compulsion etc! Views welcome!

shanki