Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest acarbonnier

fountain pen to write the essay paper?

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

Preparing the Part 2 exam for spring I wonder if the college has any specification on how we write the essay and critical review papers? Can we use ink pens like fountain pens? It helps me greatly to be legible as my scrible with a ball pen is horrible and my pencil writing rather messy.

Thanks if anyone can help with this silly question, I am trying to practice in exam condition so I thought I d get that right from the beginning.

::)

A.

Hi,

Preparing the Part 2 exam for spring I wonder if the college has any specification on how we write the essay and critical review papers? Can we use ink pens like fountain pens? It helps me greatly to be legible as my scrible with a ball pen is horrible and my pencil writing rather messy.

Thanks if anyone can help with this silly question, I am trying to practice in exam condition so I thought I d get that right from the beginning.

A.

I would recommend a Sheffer fountain pen if you are not used to them. Also carry a large nuber of cartridges as these pens run out very very fast. Try writing with them for at least a month before you go into the exam.

Another thing is to bear in mind is that fast writing is very difficult with teh fountain pen nibs.

I would strongly recommend a Parker Vector with a roller ball refill, these are excellent pens with all the ease of ball pens and the style of a fountain pen.

Do let me know if you found this useful.

Not silly at all!

In fact, I think having a clearly legible essay is as important as having a well-written one!

Please your examiner's eyes; use the fountain pen if that's the pen which makes your writing look better than usual ::) The college only asks for black/ blue ink.

Perhaps use double spacing. I never did but have heard plenty of candidates who swear by it. :-?

Good luck!

Should have added this: all of the above is good for the essay...

for Critical appraisal: use anything which will make you write FAST! :P

Hi,

A.

hi anny,

no doubt that exam has elements of luck! i used blue pen and i passed the essay. personally i dont think the pen has anything to do with the final mark in the written exam. my writtings are horrendous but i took a painstaking efforts in writting legibly during the exams.

best of luck!!!

I agree. Legibility is very important. As we all know, visual impact is very strong in creating opinions. This is where writing an essay plan before starting the essay becomes important.

The first page of the booklet, write all the points that you know and want to include in your essay, like a brainstorm.

The second page, write the essay plan. write the heading ESSAY PLAN, and your side headings. Then take the points from your brainstorming info and fit them under appropriate side headings. Try to come up with a clear introduction and conclusion.

then start the essay. this reduces chances of illegibility. As you go along, if you think of some other point, add it in your essay plan so that you will remember to write it in the essay.

Remember to cancel the essay plan in the end, by drawing a line across it.

This method worked me very well. Also, examiner knows that you had a plan and you look organised. Deciding which essay you are going to attempt + brainstorming + essay plan all should finish in 15mins. So, you will have 75mins to write the actual essay.

There will be no problem using a fountain pen. I have also found that my hard-to-read writing is more legible if I work with a heavy pen so I use one. I wanted it to be as clear as possible and didnt want the ink to bleed through the page so I wrote only on one side of the page. tThis worked very well for me. I had plenty of paper and could have had more if I needed.

I also did this for critical appraisal - just wrote on one side of the page and it looked neat and organised and easy to read.

m

Give gel pens a try. Smooth flowing ink, looks neater. Certainly makes mine look a bit better. In this regard.......every little helps!

The key issues are:

Legibility / Clarity

and Speed

I dont think it matters wether you write with biro or fountain. Whatever tickles your fancy.

Thanks a lot. Using a fountain pen definitely makes my writing neater as I am rather messy with birows and ink gel pens tend to go through the page. I enjoy writing in blue, just like at did at med school so I will stick to that.

Thanks again for your advice as well as the bit about leaving my essay plan in the notes, to show there was one :)

Fingers crossed now ::)

i think stickign to a nice ball point is fine as with fountain theres alwasy a chnce of some water spill by you or consultnat and spoiling things.

soem people even say double space your essay.i believe ia m going to stick to wha ti normally write ..i find its  confusing  to write in a special way .

i thin we all have done many exams in our life so guys do what u have always done,u know urself best

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0