Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest khuram

'essay spotting' 2006 spring

52 posts in this topic

what?

who is addicted to violence?

i thought we were addicted to fountain pens on this particular part of the forum?

hehe

i think it may be useful, if someone has forgotten to prepare on any topic then it acts as reminder :lol:

Schizophrenia and sucide

if we look into previous questions more or less there has been a question on schizophrenia in every exam

HI guys joining u from today

i think

carers,

stigma

What particular theme you are thinking under carers.

It's my first attempt and I've been reliably informed that question spotting is about as helpful as a used tea bag.

Although it depends what people mean my question spotting. If it means selective revision, then that's playing russian roulette with £593.

If it means having a very broad depth of knowledge and coming up with essay plans, then that's a good idea.

In addition to my revision, I'm preparing plans for personality disorders, managing violence, services, ethinic minorities.

Cheers

It's my first attempt and I've been reliably informed that question spotting is about as helpful as a used tea bag.

Although it depends what people mean my question spotting. If it means selective revision, then that's playing russian roulette with £593.

If it means having a very broad depth of knowledge and coming up with essay plans, then that's a good idea.

In addition to my revision, I'm preparing plans for personality disorders, managing violence, services, ethinic minorities.

Include plans for PTSD,Cannabis,Environmental effcect on mental health,in your list too.

Cheers

hi,

you guys are doing absolutely fine. i think you have to do both!you have to have some depth of knowledge to write on a topic,but at the same time do a bit of spotting as well.if you have 10-15 essays prepared and one (or nearly one)turns up,its bingo!

your list seems to be inthe right order . i would like to add an old age topic,bipolar ds and forensic one as well.

i would strongly recommend to WRITE at least(3/4) few full esays in exam conditions at the time of revision.

all the best

Post natal depression

Cannabis and mental health

Personality disorders

PTSD

???... any more guesses

ive been thinking about this seriously..

theres been a bit on dissociative disorders

and personality..

and suicide is well overdue too..

I suppose violence and management and a little on

bipolar depression?

ive been focusing on the little ole LD's too

and I love the poor oldies and their dementias and depression

and there has been some stuff on treating old age psychosis recently and alternatives to treating dementia so that could be a nice combined essay i suppose..

and maybe the asylum seekers might get a breathing this time (the college are usually about 3 yrs behind)

and maybe us GP's might get a hearing as well.

::)

Ive been thinking of colouring my page in yellow crayon and then over colouring that in black and then scraping my essay out with a compass?

I like an original approach.. are all college exams as utterly dull and tediously boring as this one?

I would agree with Maxx. As someone who has been trawling this site for years, stuff like this comes up again and again.

the best advice is to keep your reading as broad as possible - do a few essay plans but that as practise for the basic structure you could use anywhere. The idea is to be able to fill whatever you know into whatever essay you get.

I remember writing about the types of essays -

1. service essays - starting a new serivce

2. straddle essays - topics that involve two sub specialities - eg, child and adult - eg, conduct disorder and DSPD

3. curveballs - the funny ones

If you read general you could force whatever knowledge you have onto a structure and pass the essay, and do REALLY well if you've already practised it!

However if you stick to only doing some essays and hoping you will get one of them, bad luck if you don't. ( and that happens a lot)

Only attempt the so called curveball if you know all about - if you are unclear, and get at the wrong point, it is committing suicide!

Post natal depression

Personality disorders

PTSD

???... any more guesses

hi Vij99,

i agree with you, though i don't personally support essay spotting but one will benefit from well organised courses like superegocafe on how to answer any essay question.

Prof Tyrer is the current college chief examiner and i will advice guys to go through borderline Personality disorders APT 2004 by Tyrer and Bateman. Dont get me wrong, you might not get any question on BPD, but this man has done alot of wondeful jobs on this controversial topic and it will be too dangerous not to read wide about it.

best of luck guys.

Post natal depression

Personality disorders ? WASTE OF TIME OR DOMAIN OF PSYCHIATRY and MHA

PSUNAMI AND PTSD

What about Manchester course this week end ? any new ones added to previous essays, please------

possible question:

DEBATE: arguement for or against the use of neuroleptics both within and outside mental health profession.....

good papers by Anderson, Moncreff etc

what is psunami?

oh god I have so much to learn!

;)

Hi. Did my Part II last Autumn and passed(!!). As a study group we prepared quite a few topics... i think it helped bolster my confidence and also made for in depth reading.

I would suggest that one prepares also on :

DSPD

PTSD

Dual Diagnosis

Mental Health in Prisons

Hi. Did my Part II last Autumn and passed(!!). As a study group we prepared quite a few topics... i think it helped bolster my confidence and also made for in depth reading.

I would suggest that one prepares also on :

DSPD

PTSD

Dual Diagnosis

Mental Health in Prisons

hi aditya,

you must be so lucky.

i tried essay spotting but never worked. i went back to the basis. it is good to have a discussion group. personally, i think it is a big 'landmine' to prepare for any particular topic.

essay requires general knowledge. if you prepare for essays and you happen not to found any of the essays in the three questions this can cause a partial..if not total.. amnesia.

best of luck guys!!!

Any one know the suggestions for essays from birmingham course ...please?

anyone share the latest titles from the Manchester course?

obviously nobody attended the birmingham one..

:P

Hi. I agree getting the exam and also the right essay is a lot to do with luck but keep your chin up!

brimingham course

1. cannabis and psychosis

2. mental capacity act - discuss ethical issues regd LD and older adults

3.services for ethnic minorities

4.stepeed care models - in anxiety

thx you srini

would u care to elaborate on stepped care models in anxiety..in case i need one in 2 weeks time/.

/.

/.

?

am baffled,.. oops found it

Background There is a significant gap between the demand for psychological therapy services and the available supply. One proposal to overcome this problem is to increase efficiency of provision through the adoption of briefer ‘minimal interventions’ within stepped care models.

Aims To examine the theoretical underpinnings of stepped care, together with the practicalities of the adoption of this system of care.

Method Narrative literature review.

Results The potential clinical and economic benefits of stepped care are dependent upon underlying assumptions of equivalence in terms of clinical outcomes, efficiency in terms of resource use and costs, and acceptability of ‘minimal interventions’ to patients and therapists. Illustrative studies of these issues are considered.

Conclusions Although psychological services might benefit from the adoption of the stepped care model, a substantial research agenda needs to be fulfilled before a judgement can be made as to whether stepped care might be an efficient method of delivering psychological services

yawn very dull and too recent for this to appear on the exam?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0