Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gurpal

Feedback on Part 2 Essay Paper Spring 2006

17 posts in this topic

After the written exam, please post your experience of the essay paper. If you can remember the essay questions, please post them. Thanks!

Following were essay questions in exam today;

The wording might be wrong but the theme is same.;

1) personality disorders and mental illness

2) psychiatry and neurology are same critically appraise with refernce to schizophrenia.

3) mentally disordered offenders should be tried under criminal justice system;

discuss

the question for PD-along lines of...There is no concept of mental illness when it comes to Personality disorders'.Critically discuss

the Schizo and PD were both related to Classification and Mentally disordered from Forensic services was about management (dual services ,high risk management..blah blah)

1) the distinction between personality disorders and mental illness is artificial. discuss it criticaly.

2) something about Neurology and mental illnesses being similar... discuss critically with refrence to SZP

3) mentally ill offenders should be dealt with by the criminal justice system alone. dicuss advantages and disadvantages.

The second Qs:

'The distinction between neurology and psychiatry is no longer relevant' Discuss with reference to schizophrenia.

does anyone know how the first essay was supposed to eb attempted....

Q1. The concepts of personality disorders and mental illness is artificial. Discuss this critically.

I attempted this. focussed on classification, aetiology, neurochemistry, clinical features and treatment.

felt it was very difficult to comment a lot on personality being very differrent clinical syndrome. most of my discussion was on both presenting the same and very difficult to completely distinquish betwn the two. i don't know how the others felt?

i did this essay. i started by splitting the essay into 2- reasons why the distinction is artificial and reasons why it should not be considered so.

I defined both mental illness and pd initially and spoke of why by definition there should be no distinction. went on to its importance in axis 1 disorders and therefore association, treatability just like other mental illnesses, and reasonable prognosis like mental illnesses. spoke bit about burden of health care and fact whether illness or not it is certainly big prob currently under remit of psychiatrists.

I then argued case for there to be distinction, spoke of lack of validity of diagnosis, overlap, why psychs dont acknowledge as mental illness blah blah.

concluded that always debatable issue, will continue for many years but currently is under our remit etc etc

what do u reckon??

i did the 2 nd one i started by historical issues since4 kreapeline and kohl as they conieder schiopherenia dementia mdd all are due to brain changes in morphology  then 2 some countries still consider neuropsychiatric department instide of seperate department ,3 neuro development of schizopherenia ,neurobiological changes ,neuro chmical changes ,soft neurological symptoms ,then in psychiatry we are using all of sofesticaTED TECHNIQUE RELATED TO NEUROLGT T1 T2 MRI MST SPET PET ALL ARE RELATED TO NEUROLOGY  NO MUCH DEFFERANCE IN SYMPTOMS BET ORGANIC AND FUNCTIONAL SCHIZOPHERENIA  UNION RATHERE THAN SEGREGATION WILL INCREASE ROBUSTNESS OF RESERCHES  AND REDUCE STIMA WILL HELP FOR FURTHER IMPOROVEMENT IN SERVICEREGARDING GENITIC ,BIOLOGICAL AND HISTOLOGICAL ,,INVISTIGATION AND TREATMENT WILL REMAIN BIO PSYCH SOCIAL INTERVENTION :lol:[timestamp=1142520664] :-/

I thought the essays were quite fair and broad. I think the essay on schizophrenia was probably the best bet. Having said that, for some strange reason I did the mentally abnormal offenders treatment one.

MENTALLY ABNORMAL OFFENDERS AND CMJ

If forensics comes up again, here's some of what I talked about, so here goes...

1.stigma, forensic patients at margins of society, media, public attitudes

2.mental illness and offending, with an emphasis on violence

3. mental disorder and prisons.

4. the advantages of treating in CMJ alone - to be honest not too many - was struggling with  this! Badness, retribution, public attitude

5. the disadvantages - loads, i.e statute duties, role of forensic psych, medium secure, drugs in prisons, how prisons are shite, appropriate environments, treating mental illness, psychopaths, treatability of mental illness, suicide in prisons, access to health care, basic rights, fitness to plead, mens rea etc.

6. shared care - i.e a rehash of 3, 4 and 5!

7. The future - psychopaths, treatability, locking people up , was running out of time!

To be honest, I didn't really mention RISK, which is pretty crucial and the crux of the essay formed a small amount of the essay...oh well...live and learn. MAybe should have done question 2!

Oh yeah... best of luck to everyone for the results!!!! (sorry, in my misery, I forgot). Let's crack the clinical (after a few beers this weekend)

i love this about the forum..

post mortems

great!

pathologists in the making too. :-X

Q1)The distinction between the concepts of personality and mental illness is artificial.Discuss this statement critically.

Q2)The distinction between neurology and psychiatry is no longer relevant.Discuss this statement critically with reference to schiphrenia.

Q3)Mentally disordered offenders should be dealt with through the criminal justice system alone.discuss the advantages and disadvantages of such an approach.

15 march 2006 essay paper

in da hindsight i guess i attempted da wrong one,

went for 2nd one schiz ,

it luks like manchester notes, not much of an argument.

not very optimistic .

fingers crossed!!

that rings a bell!

went for 1st one.thought i knew a lot but on my may in the middle realized,well i was wrong >:(

But---Hope is a good thing ::)

Yeah.. I did the forensic one, when it was plain obvious (in my view) to do the schizophrenia one. I think someone with Part 1 knowledge could have made a decent attempt at it.

Had a chat with a college examiner who was marking the papers yesterday and he agreed...oh dear. He said a lot of people wrote a decent essay on schizophrenia, but there were a few crap ones. If this makes anyone feel worse, I apologise in advance...it's not intentional. :(

%7Boption%7D

This essay was the one I attempted. I used the army as an example that the criminal justice system should be able to have a clear care pathway with men money and material to deal with this. I gave ref of Trevor Turner and Martin Deal 1994 of diversions without corresponding resources for the NHS. The Army take care of its physically and mentally ill and have budget to include every speciality and they do not refer to the NHS

I hope this help a little if not try walk up the wall

Rabadori

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0