Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richardmellor

Revising for essay

15 posts in this topic

I know this has been the subject of previous posts but i'm still really unsure how to revise for the essay paper.  Just started reading a couple of recent articles in the APT - but the reviews are quite long and you could probably only read a couple of them in one revision session.  Is it best to carry on doing this or just read a textbook such as oxford one. Don't knnow how useful revising like this is.  Any thoughts? Thanks :)

I'm doing the same but I was thinking it would help if you actually chose a question....mmm like 'should PD be treated' then do search a of literature....form an opinion -and the way you form an opinion is an essay,,,

Hi psy-slave

im in the same boat as you are, been trying to read APT journos but it looks like a lost cause, should we start an online essay club for sept 06 exam,

may be we can decide on essay topics everyday then share our essay plans, i know that lot of peeps will benefit, but hopefully superego members

decent enough not to copy straight away and we might have input from others, tell me what do you think about it

:)

good idea moon.We will start it from tomorrow.

Hi all,

I thought i will share my ideas re essay preparation.

What we are doing, as a group is meet every week and discuss on the editorials in BJP.take notes and read up on a couple of important refrences, if possible.

The idea about thinking up few Q's is very good-but isn't that a bit early-thought would be appropriate in the last couple of months before exams.

Regards,

venkat.

Hi

I have gathered opinions from examiners and the candidates who have passed examinations. Following are few points of interest. Hope it helps.

Cheers!

How to write Essays

Practice a lot! Get a senior to mark it. Always ask for feedback. If time constraints do not allow full-fledged essays then discuss outlines with senior regs or other SHOs.

Structure is the most important thing. It should be made explicit right at the start of essay as an outline.

Structure constitutes:  

Opening section:  Clearly state the topic and its significance

Middle part: Embellish it with headings and sub-headings

Concluding part:  Ascertain both (or more) sides of the argument

What puts examiners off? Broken text.

Always plan. You need to show the examiner your thinking and reflective skills.

Planning has to be organised and systematic.

Write in sentences and paragraphs.

Write clearly. Its not exam of calligraphy but writing legibly helps.

If you are running out of time, write down in points. But only when you don’t have enough time

Avoid one-sided discussions. Overall your essay should show your ability to derive conclusions in a balanced manner.

Examiners get impressed if you quote studies but do not get carried away. Stick to relevant studies.

Most of people would agree that coloured pens, graphs and drawings can be used to explain a fact . Might make you feel back in school.

Sorry guys, didnt reply in the last two days, was down with a bad tummy. One thing I wanted to ask, how do we access journals at home, my plan was to get 24hrs access, download editorials(pdf) and read up on them, but there was no option of paying for 24hrs access. I can access them at work but not at home :-?

Dear Venkattu

I do agree with what you say, which day would you like to fix?

My consultant has asked me to write an essay on 'How does the presentation, assessment and treatment of depression differ in children and adolescents compared to adults? Discuss the implications of the difference'.

Hes gonna check it as well,should we try to crack it , this essay came in exam but as my cnstnt is an examiner his marking's going to be important.

What do you say??

Hi Bluemoon,

Your essay topic is very interesting and particularly for me as i am doing a CAMHS job. I can work on it and ask my consultant for feedback. As regards a fixed day for discussing essays, saturday or sunday should be fine with me. Waiting for ur response.

Regards,

Venkattu.

works fine for me, im gonna try this essay today n tom, we can exchange notes over weekends. thanks

PS input from other members will be highly appreciated

easy topic

depression intro..

definition  in adult vs  child

statistics of mood disorders in children vs adult

aetiology...bio , psycho ,social (...familial factors, bullying ,adhd etc playing more role in children,while vulnerablity factors in adults ..Brown N Harris etc)

clinical presentation differences

treatment approaches in adult vs children (bio /psycho/ social) including few lines abt ECT , rtms, etc

problems in managing depression in childhood vs probs in adults

gillick competence

inpatient treatment

evidence base adult vs children

treatment resistant depression

dysthymia

Seasonal affective disorders in both

comorbidity in adults vs children

prognosis

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0